Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

What a great site! Got a 2004 Tacoma last June and looking to make it a bit better. After looking through this forum, I decided to try the deckplate mod. vs. buying and installing the K&N FIPK. My delima now is after looking at the links through this fourm on how the deckplate is installed, I went out got the 4" deckplate, and the way the air box on the '04 2.7L is, it doesn't look like it will fit, deckplate is too big. The 2.7L box butts right against the windshield wiper fluid intake in the front, and on the side would be sucking hot air off the engine. Not to mention it is ridged and not a flat surface.

Anyone that has an '04 2.7L and has installed the deckplate mod. care to elaborate on how they went about it.

Thanks all in advance!

Jason
Anchorage, AK

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your 04 should be exactly the same as my 01, so I'll just tell you how I did it and hopefully it'll be same for you. If you remove your airbox and lay the deckplate over the front (facing wiper fluid) it will exactly edge to edge. Tracing inside of deckplate will show you that you have enough room to cut hole and bolt on deckplate. I used a jigsaw, I know some have used Dremel tool to cut it. either way, after the hole's cut, used sensor-safe gasket around hole, placed deckplate on, and drilled and bolted to airbox. I let my sit for 24 hours just to be safe, but you probably don't need to do that if you're using sensor-safe gasket. Look up "deck plate mod" instructions for pictures of the install, most are for the 3.4L but it's the same idea. I really like mine, I've noticed a big difference in mpg and power on the highway. Plus, if you don't like it or are worried about water or whatever, just put the plate on. Any questions ask, good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kingston73,

Thanks for the reply, so it does fit edge to edge (it looked close), how about the ridges on the stock box? Did they cause you any problems (was thinking about using high density foam in addition to sealant to help seal it. How did you go about screwing in and out the plate with the winshield wiper fluid intake in the way? A a pain at all? Any thoughts on a 3.5" deckplate?

Thanks!!

Jason
Anchorage, AK

·
WheelinIdaho
1997 Tacoma Reg cab
306 Posts
If the ridges are on teh inside of your air box like mine, you'll see they don't interfere once you get into it a bit.
Mines a 97 with the 3.4, so I dunno if this will help at all, but here are a couple of pics:

1: a view from the inside, showing the ribs

and here's the finished look:

I put a screen in mine to keep any big "debris" out, but I haven't seen much get to it. I tend to over-kill alot though.
As for the "foam" you were talking about, I doubt it will be necessary. Mine is sealed up nice and tight with just the sensor-safe silicone. And, I just used good old fashioned bolts, with flat & lock washers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The ridges weren't an issue at all. As long as the hole is big enough for the center of the deckplate to fit and small enough for the edges to overlap, you're good. I agree with above, you'll only need the sensor safe, no foam. To attach, I just drilled holes thru and used small nuts/bolts to secure, don't try to use screws. I didn't put a screen on mine and check it every week, nothing's gotten into it. Being up high like it is, it's relatively protected. If you live in the woods/country, the screens a good idea though, I moved to an urban setting, but lived WAY out before and w/o a screen I was getting rodent nests in the airbox, serious PITA!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.