Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, while driving down a mountain road, my husband hit a boulder and it tore our transmission out. Several thousand dollars later, a brand new transmission was put in our 2008 Toyota Matrix.

A year later (in late March 2012), our engine light came on. However, it quickly went back off. When it came on again a few weeks later, we finally took the car into the dealer. The diagnostic revealed the codes PO 741 and PO 756. The dealer is saying we need a whole new transmission - AGAIN. There are only 22,000 miles on this brand new transmission. Is it possible that we would need a new one already?

Unfortunately, our warranty was up on April 6. We took the car in on April 20. Toyota is refusing to cover it under the warranty.

What are our options?

·
Gearhead
2,123 Posts
P0741 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off
P0756 - Shift Solenoid B Performance or Stock Off

Need a new transaxle? Unlikely. I'd take this to a different dealership. To come out and say that the transaxle is bad after about a year/20K miles is ludacris. Sounds more like a faulty install to me or existing damage to peripheral components that wasn't fixed the first time around. Both of those codes can be traced down to a bad electrical connection, could be as simple as a loose connector. Problem is finding a dealership that is willing to spend more than 5 minutes to look for that actual problem instead of pulling in a scanner and saying. "xxx part is broken".

Start working this up the Toyota Corporate chain - service tech won't help, talk to their manager. Manager can't do anything, talk to their supervisor/owner. They can't help - take it to Toyota Corporate. Keys to success - don't lose your temper, don't threaten them with a lawsuit - that will make everyone clam up and not help. Just keep at it, someone in that chain will be able to give you some options.

As for warranty work - being off by several days is generally a non-issue. As with most warranty work - really helps if you get the right person at the right time. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts