Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I May have this noise. When my vehicle reaches 15mph then stops at 20MPh decelerating or accelerating. Scion iM not included tho ughhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How come no Scion iM?!?? Wtf[/quote] Confusing indeed. They are careful to say "iM vehicles", avoiding mentioning Corolla or Scion, but they do mention 2018-2018... Anyway, it's just a TSB so it doesn't mean at all that the repair couldn't be performed on other related vehicles if required.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confusing indeed. They are careful to say "iM vehicles", avoiding mentioning Corolla or Scion, but they do mention 2018-2018...

Anyway, it's just a TSB so it doesn't mean at all that the repair couldn't be performed on other related vehicles if required.

This definitely affects my iM. I been posting about the noise “whistle/hiss” sound on my iM between 10-20MPh accelerating or decelerating

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Contacted my service rep from Toyota regarding the TSB. They wanted me to come in today but suddenly he found out the valve body is back ordered. Gonna wait it out and update the thread regarding follow ups.
Anyone got a TSB done on theirs yet?

·
Registered
152 Posts
So, it give the VINs of the first UNaffected vehicles as:

2T1BPRHE#KC167424
and
5YFBURHE#KP891129
The first is (I'm assuming) Canada, as it much more closely matches mine, which is from Canada.

My VIN is 2T1BURHEXJC0xxxxx

Per Wiki, the 7th char being a letter (H) means the 10th character is interpreted for years in a table given there, which says that that first unaffected VIN is K, for a 2019 vehicle.

The 10th character of my VIN is J, for a 2018 vehicle.

So I should be affected. BUT, when I plug my VIN into https://www.toyota.com/recall it says:

"There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle."

So what is happening here? Can a lower VIN than that given have an unaffected transmission? That doesn't seem to be what the TSB says.

ETA: F***ing CVT. I wish I never saw this car. How the hell is it that they're only finding this shit out now?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gotta love this part:

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
 This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for
60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

So for everybody out of warranty, I guess you are SOL?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
So I should be affected. BUT, when I plug my VIN into https://www.toyota.com/recall it says:
"There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle."
So what is happening here? Can a lower VIN than that given have an unaffected transmission? That doesn't seem to be what the TSB says.
ETA: F***ing CVT. I wish I never saw this car. How the hell is it that they're only finding this shit out now?
So for everybody out of warranty, I guess you are SOL?
Don’t get carried away here: you "should" not be affected. It’s a TSB (technical service bulletin), not a service campaign or a recall.
OP is just happy to have found a repair that might apply to a problem he’s experiencing.

TSB’s are updates to the repair guides for Toyota technicians (or whatever manufacturer).
There are literally hundreds of them including on trivial subjects like how to change oil or rotate tires that may or may not be covered by warranty.
Repair guides and updates (TSB) cover everything which doesn’t mean that everything in every car will fail (well, maybe on the long run! :wink:)

TSB: Technician, here is what to do if a customer car is affected by this problem (warranty or not). Be sure to apply right method according to production specification (VIN);
Service campaign: Customer, we’ve noticed a higher than acceptable failure risk on this. We offer you this way to prevent it (either for a limited time or not);
Recall: An engineering flaw on our part renders all units of this model (or those produced between X and X date) non-compliant to government standards and regulation. We will fix it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
OP is just happy to have found a repair that might apply to a problem he’s experiencing.

TSB’s are updates to the repair guides for Toyota technicians (or whatever manufacturer).
TSB: Technician, here is what to do if a customer car is affected by this problem (warranty or not). Be sure to apply right method according to production specification (VIN);
Service campaign: Customer, we’ve noticed a higher than acceptable failure risk on this. We offer you this way to prevent it (either for a limited time or not);
Recall: An engineering flaw on our part renders all units of this model (or those produced between X and X date) non-compliant to government standards and regulation. We will fix it.
OK, that makes sense as far as it goes, and thanks for that - except that whatever you call it, it was apparently important enough to change the design/manufacture of the transmission.

That implies that some or all transmissions before the design change are (more) likely to develop this issue, whatever it actually is. I'm assuming that the "hiss noise" signifies something bad happening inside the CVT.

So if this happens to me, 60,000 miles from now, it'll be on my dime - and a quick glance at the TSB makes me think that it will not be cheap. It looks like a lot of time is spent to fix this, with a fair number of different ways to screw it up.

So the fact that it's not a Service Campaign is not more comforting to me.

I suppose any vehicle I could buy could have issues like this - I was just hoping that a Toyota Corolla would be much less likely to have them. I'll admit that beyond looking at Consumer Reports, I didn't do much research.

ETA: Why is this just coming out now, if these CVTs have been in use for so long all over the world? Is this yet another "bonus" that might be due to "fake shift points"?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
OK, except that whatever you call it, it was apparently important enough to change the design/manufacture of the transmission.
That implies that some or all transmissions before the design change are (more) likely to develop this issue. [...] So the fact that it's not a Service Campaign is not more comforting to me. [...] Why is this just coming out now, if these CVTs have been in use for so long all over the world?
I mentioned it because you sounded puzzled that your car wasn’t in some recall. Alas, not everything is a campaign/recall and fortunately TSB doesn’t equal fatality. Actually, the fact that it took “so long” would temper the idea of massive breakdowns years after years.

Also changes in production occur: even our venerable 2ZR engines went through some over the years, not that previous executions were stalling everywhere. It might also be related to the next Corolla, which will use the same CVT in some versions. So Toyota still seems confident.

Anyway, maybe I’m too optimistic but it comes from the fact that my 5+ years old Corolla is the only one among many other brands/models I’ve owned that went through this time with oil changes (and 2 firmware update, for Valvematic and CVT) and nothing else !

I understand, though, that someone with a unit showing every flaw would have a different gist!

Is this yet another "bonus" that might be due to "fake shift points"?
I agree it would be interesting to have statistics to compare, and also compare paddle shifting vs non paddle shifting versions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I mentioned it because you sounded puzzled that your car wasn’t in some recall.
Thanks for that. :smile:

Anyway, maybe I’m too optimistic but it comes from the fact that my 5+ years old Corolla is the only one among many other brands/models I’ve owned that went through this time with oil changes (and 2 firmware update, for Valvematic and CVT) and nothing else !
How many miles do you have on that baby?

I understand, though, that someone with a unit showing every flaw would have a different gist!
Actually, mine has no issues so far.

Well, sometimes the buzzer goes off when I open the door to get out, and I can't figure out why, but fiddling with the headlight switch seems to make it stop, even though the headlights were already off, so it's something about that I guess. And one time the panic alarm went off while I was inside the car, but I couldn't exclude the possibility that I actually pressed and held that button.

Other than those tiny nits, it's been smooth sailing, I'm closing in on 8000 miles.

I'm really glad I didn't get a demon-possessed one like that poor fellow who bought a low mileage used one, who had a crap-ton of repairs done to it and ultimately traded it in and got something else, because he would never feel good looking at a Corolla dashboard again. (I can't say I blame him, either.) I wouldn't have handled that well at all!

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Well, sometimes the buzzer goes off when I open the door to get out, and I can't figure out why, but fiddling with the headlight switch seems to make it stop, even though the headlights were already off, so it's something about that I guess. And one time the panic alarm went off while I was inside the car, but I couldn't exclude the possibility that I actually pressed and held that button.
I've had both happen a couple of times. Most likely a wrinkle in my jeans pressing the button as I exit.
If you attempt to lock the door with the door open or a smart key sensed inside, it'll sound a long warning tone. Maybe you shifted your leg enough when you fiddled with the headlights to stop it?

I've only hit the panic once.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How many miles do you have on that baby?
Not much (around 12K a year), just as my previous cars. Except for each of those there were visits to the dealer at early age for actual repairs (albeit under warranty). If TSB make you nervous, try receiving a letter to be cautious about potential gas leak but no campaign/recall in colder climate (here) because of then limited fire hazard… So Toyota it was after that for the first time. Maybe luck vs bad luck but, as I said, it could self-destroy from now on (hope not !) it would still have provided my best 5+ years record.

·
Loyal Toyota Owner
14 Posts
Why did I give Toyota another chance after my 2006 Corolla LE. My 2006 leaked oil at 46,000 miles, O ring/tensioner issue fixed at 90 some thousand miles at Toyota's expense. Only because I had leak documented at 46,000 miles. Tensioner squealed at start sometimes at 5000 miles/beyond and I just lived with it. Then I waited for my two possible scenarios of computer failure, dead car or rough shift...this was before full recall. Computer went while in cruise on a two lane county hwy at 55mph. The car jerked and rocketed forward very harsh, then came the rough shift/check engine light. I already knew what happened. Had to wait for new computer about a week.

Now I have my third Corolla a 2017 SE ...and I possibly have to have it ripped apart. I had the new firmware thing done after second try for Toyota. I hate the cruise control, and really was the only dislike. But now this TSB has me ticked. I'm not sure I have the issue, I hear a drone effect in reverse backing out sometimes. Maybe forward too at slower speeds not sure. It is a Canadian Corolla built for USA. I chose the Canadian one vs Blue Springs when I bought it.

I wish I had my jap 1992 right now LOL. It was the best...none of this and it ran forever. All I can say right now to Toyota is FU. Same ol letting a problem get by year after year in a generation of the Corolla. Keep pumping them out 14,15,16,17,18. I know this is some type of noise issue, what will happen if not fixed?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why did I give Toyota another chance after my 2006 Corolla LE. My 2006 leaked oil at 46,000 miles, O ring/tensioner issue fixed at 90 some thousand miles at Toyota's expense. Only because I had leak documented at 46,000 miles. Tensioner squealed at start sometimes at 5000 miles/beyond and I just lived with it. Then I waited for my two possible scenarios of computer failure, dead car or rough shift...this was before full recall. Computer went while in cruise on a two lane county hwy at 55mph. The car jerked and rocketed forward very harsh, then came the rough shift/check engine light. I already knew what happened. Had to wait for new computer about a week.

Now I have my third Corolla a 2017 SE ...and I possibly have to have it ripped apart. I had the new firmware thing done after second try for Toyota. I hate the cruise control, and really was the only dislike. But now this TSB has me ticked. I'm not sure I have the issue, I hear a drone effect in reverse backing out sometimes. Maybe forward too at slower speeds not sure. It is a Canadian Corolla built for USA. I chose the Canadian one vs Blue Springs when I bought it.

I wish I had my jap 1992 right now LOL. It was the best...none of this and it ran forever. All I can say right now to Toyota is FU. Same ol letting a problem get by year after year in a generation of the Corolla. Keep pumping them out 14,15,16,17,18. I know this is some type of noise issue, what will happen if not fixed?

Well on the TSB, they get to change my Valve Body (my service rep said the Valve body is new and not reman or refurb) for a brand new one, and a CVt fluid drain and fill for free. I’ll take it even if they don’t fix the problem.

I’m just hoping that they actually do the job and not just straight up lie to my face that they’ll say they did the job but they actually didn’t.
Shit happened to me before. Liars

1 - 20 of 27 Posts