Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Brakes got checked today and I'm getting some new pads. I've been having no problem with my brakes (99 Camry) but the pads have gotten thin. I understand that while I'm at it, I need to get the rotors turned/replaced. Is that correct? Is there any harm if I do the pads first myself and then later have the rotors turned?

Take Care,
John

·
Registered
455 Posts
If the rotor have bad wear or grooves in them it could wear your new pads weird. New rotors these days are pretty cheap, I would just do it all while your doing the pads.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
It is advisable to get new rotors or turn the old ones when installing new pads. The pads will seat better to a new or turned rotor surface. It is also advisable to do this when the pads are first installed, not later.

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a ton! And is it typically cheaper to pay someone to turn them than to replace them myself?

·
Administrator
14,121 Posts
Thanks a ton! And is it typically cheaper to pay someone to turn them than to replace them myself?
Around here it costs about $15 per rotor to have them turned, Vs about $100 each for new ones.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
Camry Driver
Camry CE 4cy
10 Posts
I am also in need of new brake pads and rotors for Camry 1999, CE 4cl. I checked on ebay and the cheapest set are around $60. I am thinking about spending a bit more for better quality equipment but don't' know which one to choose or where I should buy them.

My budget is around $100 for the whole set.

Should I get ceramic or semi-metallic?

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts