Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'81 Corolla wagon
77 Posts
On my 24 year old Corolla there is a little hose sticking out of the bottom of the radiator and poking through the bottom splash plate. If I get down on my hands and kneees I can see it underneath the car. Follow this up to a tap on the bottom of the radiator. This lets you drain coolant out of the radiator. You might want to loosen the cap on the radiator a bit to let air in as the coolant drains out. If all you're doing is replacing the upper hose then you probably only need to let out an inch or so of coolant. Either that or you can do as the other responder suggested and let it drain on your engine, but that's kind of messy. If your car is like mine it is easier to drain out a bit of coolant than it is to clean it up (and if you have pets make sure you clean it all up because they are attracted to coolant but it will kill them.)

Don't forget to top up the coolant again afterrwards. I'd use fresh because the stuff you drain out of hte bottom of the radiator will probably have crud in it. (Please dispose of the old stuff wisely - the city here will recycle it) Push the hose to a level lower than the top of the radiator so you exclude air from the hose. Basically burp the system. Check the reservoir level over the next couple of days because you may still have some air pockets..

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
just drain a liter or two so you can refill the system with the old coolant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts