Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody, I just came home with my new used 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Double Cab last Wednesday. On the way home while driving on a highway when I reached 60 mph my truck started to shake. After driving it for a while the I noticed the shaking isn't constant. It mostly starts at 60 mph and get worse towards 65-70. The one thing I noticed it that it isn't constant. While on a very flat road or on a road that is going down hill slightly the truck smoothes out. Also when going on a bend in the road the shaking gets worse. This is a Certified vehicle that is going back to the dealer but when I called them they said it was probably a wheel balancing problem. I'm not to sure about that. A bad wheel balance probably would be constant IMHO. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Take the truck back and let them balance the wheels. That's exactly what it sounds like. When I bought by brand new 2019 tundra I didn't notice the wheels weere u balanced until I rotated then from the back to the front.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't a tire balance problem be constant at 60 or 65 whenever it was noticeable and not variable?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Could be a harmonic situation with two out of balance wheels, when the out of balance condition is at the same rotation point then it is amplified, go around a turn and change that point and it may not be anywhere near as bad. If the vibration is bad enough you could have someone drive near you on a 4 lane road and actually see which wheel is hopping.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 4Runner was like that. Real bad shakes but only at certain times and roads. All 4 wheels were horribly unbalanced.

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still waiting for the dealer to finish with my truck. They've had it for 2 weeks now and hopefully Friday I have it back.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm still waiting for the dealer to finish with my truck. They've had it for 2 weeks now and hopefully Friday I have it back.
Theyve had it for 2 weeks for a supposed wheel balance issue?????? They deffinately owe you some kind of update. Id be there at the door when they opened and say WTF.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Theyve had it for 2 weeks for a supposed wheel balance issue?????? They deffinately owe you some kind of update. Id be there at the door when they opened and say WTF.

There were more things I called them out on holding them to Toyota's Certified standards. Some which involved body work. They did give me a 2019 Ford 150 Platinum to drive in the mean time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There were more things I called them out on holding them to Toyota's Certified standards. Some which involved body work. They did give me a 2019 Ford 150 Platinum to drive in the mean time.
Hopefully it is just a wheel balance problem. Years ago my dad had ordered a new dodge crewcab. From day one it had a vibration and after many trips to dealer and them changeing many parts and much garage time Mopar pretty much threw their hands up and said we don't know. They balanced the tires, new rotors, new torque convertor, balanced the drive shaft, new rods and mains. Turned out to be a bad pinion bearing discovered by second dealer when changing the gearset in tbe rear end.

·
Registered
2017 Tundra 5.7L DC
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update the problem I had, I just got my truck back and the vibration problem seems to have been solved. Apparently they replaced the tires on the truck and never balanced them. Maybe they though they could say a buck, it was bad!

On anther note, anyone looking to buy a Toyota from Sloan Toyota in Glenside, PA, Beware of them not paying attention or standing behind without a fight the Toyota Certification. Not to get into the long list on the 160 point check list I now need to have someone detail the interior of my truck. It really looks like crap!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts