Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I own a brand new Tacoma that has a wierd problem. When the engine is "slightly warm" it wont start. It will crank, fire and die. The only way to start it is to hold the key in the start position and let this happen several times. After a couple of crank, fire, die cycles it will start.
My tacoma is an 03 V6 prerunner and I heard others have a similar problem?
Anyone here know anything?
Thanks!

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
your tocoma seems rather new and more or less still under warenty you should take it back to the dealer and have them try to fix it, explain to them also that it doesnt always do it but after a few cycles it would start back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that

Already tried that, and what I got from Toyota is "cannot duplicate" therefore there is no problem...
I have gone back and forth with them for more than a year on this. Toyota told me recently: "sue us if you are still not happy"...
I am looking to see if anyone actually solved this. Don't want litigation, everyone looses, attorneys win.

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
did this to me a couple times. basically the the computer thinks the truck is cold so it chokes and floodes itself crating the condition know as vaporlock. basically gotta get into the habbit to turn the key and start it with no hesitation as the fuel pump primes the engine not after. its take about a second. when this problem happens again instead of craking right over agin wait a minute or so before trying again. something you probably don't want to hear.
Since it is bad in your case I don't know what your states law is but after u bring in a vehical 6 times without solving the problem here CA u can sue for another vehical under the lemom law

otherwise the basics are change the air filter , fuel filter , pcv valve and breather. Are u using high octane fuel. if you are go back to regular. also if it happended that much u had to of fowled your plugs. probably don't need to change them just clean them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lompoc California - I spent three months out there on a launch campaign! Nice little town, ended up purchasing my Tacoma in Santa Barbara!
In any case, the "could not duplicate" provides the mfg with Lemon law protection because only if they perform three unsuccessful repairs do they owe you a new vehicle. Since they have the dealers by the ... the dealers play along.
Anyway, thanks for the info!

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
same county anyway. why would you ever want to leave here. I left and had to come back. property prices are now insane but damn this place rocks:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts