Toyota Nation Forum banner

New vehicle time on dealer lot

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  84Cressida 
#1 ·
Is it normal for a car to sit at a dealer for 10 months before it's sold?

Friend is looking at a new Corolla and the dealer showed us their invoice with a date of November 2009.

#2 ·
Yes, sometimes this happens when a Dealer gets a vehicle with odd colors/trim or other options that don't sell well ( Dealers don't always get to pick what cars they get). Really the only thing I would be worried about is if the tires have flat spots or the Brake rotors have a pulsation from uneven surface rust. make sure the car is test driven at highway speed and to feel for vibration and safely brake a few times from highway speed and feel for pulsation ( The Dealers should have been moving the car monthly to prevent this but it does happen sometimes). There is nothing else to worry about. BTW if it was on the lot for that long and its also the end of the year, he should try and get a really good deal.

#8 · (Edited)
Tried to get it for newspaper ad price and got pretty close.

Found out it has some non-Toyota, Automate something or other, car alarm in it. They added $1200 to the sticker price for that. Not sure what all it does since it still uses the regular keyless remote. The remote and key are one piece.

Only way I've figured out how to trip it is to open the door when armed. In which case the horn will sound.

#10 ·
It depends on the kind of car and options. I'd say that adding a $1200 alarm system is a really good way to ensure that any car will take a really long time to sell. Unless you get a killer deal, I'd pass it up for another.

I'd say that it isn't really common for a Toyota to sit on the lot that long. On the other hand, the Toyota dealer near my home still has a 2008 Camry Solara that is still brand new and hasn't been sold. I'm not sure why they haven't just lowered the price a bit more. It's a fully loaded SLE V6 with navigation, and they still are demanding $24,000 for it. Nuts.

It sits right out front with a "MANAGER's SPECIAL" tag on it. Special my fanny.

#11 ·
It depends on the kind of car and options. I'd say that adding a $1200 alarm system is a really good way to ensure that any car will take a really long time to sell. Unless you get a killer deal, I'd pass it up for another.

I'd say that it isn't really common for a Toyota to sit on the lot that long. On the other hand, the Toyota dealer near my home still has a 2008 Camry Solara that is still brand new and hasn't been sold. I'm not sure why they haven't just lowered the price a bit more. It's a fully loaded SLE V6 with navigation, and they still are demanding $24,000 for it. Nuts.

It sits right out front with a "MANAGER's SPECIAL" tag on it. Special my fanny.
My dealer had an '08 Solara Coupe on the lot too until earlier this year! I wonder how many Solaras are still in inventory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.