Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'yota pilot
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought a 1993 Pickup w/ the 22re 4 cylinder. It is a black regular cab. I've been looking for one for a long time and finally found one for a good deal. Had it shipped from Topeka, KS to Daytona Beach. I am a pilot and I'm on the road most of the year and I just got home tonight to see it for the first time. I'm happy overall with it and after a few months of giving it my special TLC.

I have 2 issues right off though and if anyone could chime in I would appreciate it. For one, when it is warmed up it seems to idle very low to the point where it wants to die but doesn't, it barely stays alive. Second, the dealer I bought it from replaced the gauges because some of them didn't work (???). Anyway I think the gauges came out of a V6 car because the RPM read out doesn't climb hardly over 2k RPM when I know and can hear that it is much higher. Is there any setting or tweak to get the RPM to read correctly?

I'm sure I will be posting here from time to time to share and ask advice from those who know these trucks well. I am starting the journey to get to know my new truck! As of right now, I know next to nothing about it.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
yota bomber
815 Posts
im unfamiliar with the 22s but look into secondary air injection. or vac leaks at the manifold. sounds like its trying to compensate for lack of air . if not go to your spark

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum :welcome: I'm sure you'll enjoy your new truck. What do you fly?

In the spirit of starting out simply, have you tried adjusting your idle speed with the idle speed adjusting screw? It's the big flathead screw on top of the throttle body. If the o-ring around it is worn, it will sometimes screw itself downward and adjust your idle speed downward. (The o-ring can be replaced.) Try backing out the adjustment screw to raise the idle speed, but don't back it out so that the head of the screw protrudes much above the surrounding throttle body - maybe 1/16" or so max. If it still runs too slow when backed out that much, something else is going on - like a dirty throttle body with clogged air passages.

If you want to clean the throttle body, this post may help. It's for a V6, but the throttle bodies are nearly the same:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2752012#post2752012

Re: the tach, it does sound like the dealer installed a V6 cluster and didn't bother to adjust the tach. Nice work - not!

It is adjustable - once you get at it. There are a few threads on the subject, but none with pictures that I could find. I did find a thread with pics over on yotatech:
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/tachometer-adjustment-screw-177658/

This thread might be helpful for how to get at the cluster:
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/sr5-gauge-cluster-swap-how-pics-179106/

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

·
'yota pilot
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post, I was not sure if that flathead screw on the throttle body was the idle adjust or not. I will give it a shot along with the tachometer adjustment. Just have to find a reliable source to read the actual RPM.

Right now I'm a contract imaging pilot and doing work for www.pictometry.com (Google Earth type stuff...). I flew Twin-Cessna's in Dallas/Ft. Worth for over a year before doing this. Just climbing the ladder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts