Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm new to this forum and also to the idea of owning a car I might actually take pride in (my '94 Mazda Protege has been good to me, especially at the gas station....but it leaves much to be desired...including power options...hehe.)

In any case, I'm looking at the tC for my first "real", first "new" car and I've got some general car questions that I figured SCION owners/enthusiasts might be able to answer. Keep in mind, I'm not looking to spend money on kits and fixing it up much...I'm not all of that. I just appreciate its look and want to know what's worth adding onto the sticker price, and what isn't.

1) Is the factory 6CD changer pretty good, or would I be better off getting one somewhere else?

2) How about the security system? If I get one installed somewhere else, does that screw with any warranties? Is it generally a better idea to get the factory system or just the opposite?

3) If I want to get the 18" wheels, or the lip spoiler...better to do it from the start, or does it not make a difference?

Like I said..general questions. Just figured I'd get a more straightforward answer here then if I went to a dealership and asked them, "Do I really need to get this now?" Hehe.

Thanks for any advice you have!

:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
LoopyLady_1 said:

1) Is the factory 6CD changer pretty good, or would I be better off getting one somewhere else?
Short Answer: go aftermarket, the 6 disk is the same as the stock unit, only it is $300 more and holds 5 more CDs (and the screen's back light can change colors :rolleyes: ) . The stock head unit is good compared to others, but after market will always be better and cheaper.

LoopyLady_1 said:

2) How about the security system? If I get one installed somewhere else, does that screw with any warranties? Is it generally a better idea to get the factory system or just the opposite?
A few things: The tC has the key less entry buttons built into the key head (not a seperate fob). These may not work with an after market alarm, which means you have extra usless buttons on your key. The tC also has an engine immobilizer which makes it hard to steal in the first place, and makes adding remote start almost immpossible. A security system from Scion may be worth conisdering if you HAVE to have one.
LoopyLady_1 said:

3) If I want to get the 18" wheels, or the lip spoiler...better to do it from the start, or does it not make a difference?
It does not matter if you get those options right away or come back and get them put on in a year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for the response, JSVH!

(By the way, any aftermarket CD systems that you think might deserve a look and would look nice in the tC?)

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
anything Sony, Pioneer or Blaupunkt (my opinion). Whether or not it looks nice depends on your interior color, the deck type and how the center console is set up. If the stereo bay is tall (like it is on most Toyotas), you wanna get one with a huge LCD (video monitors or etc.,) to fill in that space. If its small, it really wont' matter (but black always looks best).

Best reason to get the extra options you asked about when you buy the car is because it'll be included in your regular car payment. But that's also the worst reason to do it - if you change anything (lipkit to full body kit, or change rims, etc.,) to something aftermarket, you'll still be paying for those original options, in addition to paying for the new items.

·
Registered
110 Posts
LoopyLady_1 said:
Thanks much for the response, JSVH!

(By the way, any aftermarket CD systems that you think might deserve a look and would look nice in the tC?)
I, personally, am going to keep the stock head unit for a year or two. Then, once I have money I will get a new stereo set up. I have not looked into car stereo yet, But just about any standard head unit should fit the tC. Just make sure if it folds out or something, that it will not get in the way of the stereo cover on the tC. I am sure you can find some one more knowledgeable about car audio then me. ;)

The gauges in the tC light up amber BTW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts