Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first of all i'm new here. I'm also new to the import croud. My car up until a few days ago was a 95 Chevy Monte Carlo. Fun car and i have read alot into them over the year i had it on the street. the problem is the tranny blew and it's a rare one to find. so the tranny would cost more than the car is worth. I was looking into driving my grandfathers car while it was in the shop, but now that i found out what it's gonna cost me to fix the monte i've decided it's time to move on for now.

Well my grandfathers car is an 87 Corolla GTS. It's blue on blue cloth, 5 speed. personaly i'm a domestic car guy, but i've always loved the way just sitting in this car feels. I don't know what it is but these little japanese cars just seem to feel more comfortable driving to me. a big plus is the 5 speed. ever since i started driving i wanted a stick but never got the oppurtunity, so i'm jumping all over it now.

before i can get her on the street i've got a few things i need to fix. the two biggies being the breaks and the fuel delivery system. my grandfather has had alot of fun with this car but due to my grandmother having a stroke last year he now has grown too tired to work on it anymore, and couldn't drive it very much anyway. i believe the problem with the brakes is simply a leaky master cylinder. He bought one to put on it and just never was able to get it on. that should solve the brake issue. the next problem is the fuel. he believes it is a problem with the pump.

now for the questions. a tech at work told me he believes they have an access panel under the back seat. is this true, and if so how would i go about testing and possibly replacing the pump, as this is the first fuel pump i've tackled.
Seeing as how i'm not experienced with toyotas or imports in general. what should i know about the car. Is this the ae86.
not to bash this site but are there any sites that relate closer to this car? as in forums etc. with the monte i was a member of one of the best car specific sites out there. MyMonte.com

thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for the back end, it's a trunk. i wouldn't want it as bad if it was hatch. IIRC it's 4 disk. and i can't really remember but if i had to guess it think it's RWD.

I'm going up to their house tomorrow to atleast look it over if not tow it home. towing it shouldn't be a prob since we own our own towing business. i just hope we have a slow spot tomorrow so i can take the rollback. I'll give it a good going over tomorrow and will be able to answer any Q's.

another point, what do i need to be looking for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok they weren't home when i swung by so i couldn't unlock it or pop the hood, but i did do an outside inspection. It is a RWD which makes me happy. it is a GT-S and it says Twim Cam 16 on the side. Only real problem is due to the previous owner not taking really good care of it, and my grandparents driveway for some reason will strip the clear coat off you car if it's there for more than a day or two. So the clear is pealing and even some of the color is fadding or peeling but not much. got a few rust spots due to sitting outside bassically it's entire life. small ones on the back fenders above the wheel wells and one under each taillight. I'm gonna sand that out and throw atlest some primer on it to keep it from rusting out much more. headrests on the back seats are shot from the sun, but i'm thinking about trashing those anyways and making a two seater. It has a tape deck and an equalizer above that. was the equalizer stock on some or did someone put it in there? anyways when they get home i'm going over to start working on it some and i'll see what else i can see.

·
Registered
87 Toyota corolla
19 Posts
Nice Nice
I Drive the exact same car. I spent $3500 on bodywork and paint. it was really bad I have pictures of the process i have to upload some day. I do have pictures of it finished in the gally. Well not "FINISHED" but painted. I need to do an engine swap for the spring. Blew it up in Oct. so I just parked it for the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.