Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I want to know the fastest way to boost performance on this baby. I need simple information on turbos. I have TRD struts and suspension and my Camry came with manual transmission. Should I get 18" tires? What are good chrome rims? Should I invest in a turbo at all?

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
1) Welcome to the Toyota Forum. :chug:

2) Fourth-generation (1997-2001) Camry CEs did not come with V6 (six-cylinder) engines. The CE came with a 133-horsepower four-cylinder engine (also known as 5SFE). The LE had the V6 engine as an option (also known as 1MZ-FE I think) and the XLE had a V6 standard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6 Cylinder

It is a special model. The CE came stock with 6 cylinders and a manual transmission.

·
Registered
2002 4Runner
152 Posts
I have driven a 97 1mz 5 spd manual CE model. They did not make a manual in the Gen 3's V6. The Gen 4 1mz 5 spds are out there, but rare. I have also seen 4cyl XLE plenty of times (though much more rare than the LE 4cyl) I have even seen one with a 5 spd. The only car they did not make a manual in (nor could you order one) is the XLE V6 (my car). Every other model (i.e. CE, LE, XLE, CE V6, LE V6) they did make a manual tranny.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
joeld40 said:
Hi all.

I want to know the fastest way to boost performance on this baby. I need simple information on turbos. I have TRD struts and suspension and my Camry came with manual transmission. Should I get 18" tires? What are good chrome rims? Should I invest in a turbo at all?
learn to drive.nitrous.
google if you want information in general.
why would you want 18" tyres for? arent your wheels 15"?
ones that are triple dipped.
up to you.
joeld40 said:
Any ideas to ehance performance on a '97 CE 6 cylinder manual tranny?
move your right arm/hand faster in combination with your feet?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Not much available for performance upgrades off the shelf. Look around here and see what other people have done is your best option. You can put 18's on your car and they will look good probably. However if you go with a heavy wheel and tire combo you will actually loose some performance.

Investing in turbo is lots of investing. You will not find any kind of bolt on turbo kit for the 1MZ. If you want to see how wild you can go with a turbo 1MZ doa search for Tony the TIger. He ahs a 94 Camry with a 1MZ putting out 392 HP at the wheels. His goal is somewhere around 500 if I remember right. He has somewhere around 25K dollars invested in his I think he said one time and has gone through several different variations.

·
toyota = cool
Toyota Camry CE
490 Posts
epinionator89 said:
1) Welcome to the Toyota Forum. :chug:

2) Fourth-generation (1997-2001) Camry CEs did not come with V6 (six-cylinder) engines. The CE came with a 133-horsepower four-cylinder engine (also known as 5SFE). The LE had the V6 engine as an option (also known as 1MZ-FE I think) and the XLE had a V6 standard.
oh no! i guess my car does not exist :eek:
jk i have a 97 CE V6 5spd and i love it to death.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
Tony's car puts down more than 392 whp, I don't know where you got that figure from. He is pushing 460 whp I believe.

As far as your Camry goes...I would do:
-Cold air intake
-GReddy catback exhaust
-Lightened flywheel
-ACT clutch
-All free mods
-17" Lightweight rims with some good rubbers
-Short shift kit
-High flow y-pipe

And a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now off the top of my head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts