Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm shopping for a Taco right now. I have cash in-hand and I plan on purchasing a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab by the end of the month. This is what I need my Taco to have: Double Cab & 2WD PreRunner

Now, this is where I need advice from current Taco owners. I'm not absolutely sure which to choose of the following options:

Long Bed vs Short Bed. I mean obviously a long bed allows me to fit more stuff in it, but is there really an advantage to one over the other? Is one easier to find a camper/cap for? Is there a disadvantage to a long bed?

Running Boards (Factory). The running boards that can be purchased from the dealer... I'm not sure they are really very good becasue I've read that they just dirty up the back of your pants and you tend to not really step on them. Opinions? Is there an aftermarket brand that is better and more useful than the factory running boards?

Towing Package. I don't know forsure if I'll be towing anything more than 3000 lbs (the stock towing capacity), but the idea of being able to tow up-to 6500 lbs is appealing. Anybody have opinions?

TRD Offroad Package. Ok, I've only seen one PreRunner in my search that has the TRD package. It looks like an awesome package, but considering the fact that it's a 2WD truck, it seems useless especially since I never plan on going offroad. Also, I'm sure you take a big hit on MPG with those huge tires. But the features of the package, and the looks of it, are awesome to me.

So please give me your opinions.

Thanks,

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
ok so the rundown...

SB vs LB
obviously u can haul more in the LB it doesnt come with the TRD off road pkg tho, so no locker. manual transmission also isnt available with the LB.

Running Boards
whichever ones u decide on, dont get them at the dealer. too expensive there. you can find them online for cheaper, and if u lurk around here more often, u might be inclined to consider other steps :naughty:

Towing package
If i were you, i'd get in just in case. also, it comes with a better tranny cooler, etc

TRD pkg
if you want to get the prerunner like you said, then consider getting the off road pkg bc of the locker. it can and will help out. just keep in mind about the LB option. but if u do get the off road version, then the only thing you'll be missing out on are the cool exterior features of the sport (hood scoop, color matched bumper, grille, mirrors, handles)

good luck with your purchase and good job saving up all that loot in this recession :clap:

·
I Like 'Ze Best
2007 TRD Sport
1,722 Posts
If I were you, I would get what you think you might need, because later on down the road, you might end up using it, and if you don't have it you're out of luck. It's easier to not use a feature you have, than to add a feature you don't have.

·
Registered
2009 TM DblCb Tacoma
94 Posts
yes, locking differential
If you don't mind me asking, if he's not planning to take it off-road, what is the purpose of the Locker for him?

(I too am buying a Tacoma soon... Of course, in Canada, we don't have the off-road package anyways, only the base, SR5, and TRD Sport -with its limited slip differ... and there's no 2WD double cab option here anymore either)

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, if he's not planning to take it off-road, what is the purpose of the Locker for him?
just one of those just in case things. i would say for him to get a 4x4 but it sounds like he weighed in that option already. not to mention its a lot more $$$. if he doesn't get the TRD Sport, then all he's missing out on is the exterior stuff and the lim slip. but if he really wants the long bed, then i guess the TRD sport is his only option

1 - 7 of 7 Posts