Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all -

Long story short I am owner of 04 4 runner sport with 30,000 miles and a K&N intake. Have been a new homeowner for the last 6 months and times are tight with a $460/mo car payment. I have the opportunity to sell my 4runner to my cousin for $23,000 and go get a 06 DCab 4x4 crew cab Taco 6sp w/ sport package.

Here are my pros:
1. I need new tires and brakes soon for the 4 runner.
2. Would save almost $100 on my monthly payment.
3. I owe $16,000 on my 4runner and would get $23,000 for it. I would then put $5,000 down on the taco and pocket the other $2,000 to put down as an engagement ring for my gf.
4. I like the comfort of having a truck bed where i can just toss stuff into. The 115v outlet can't hurt either. It's pretty much just like my 4runner except it has a truck bed instead of the useless cargo area.
5. It's just me.No wife (not for long), no kids and no pets. The 4 runner was too much for just a single dude.
6. Have a scrape in the front bumper from a hit and run and 2 door dings on the drivers side door. Wouldn't have this with a new taco.
7. Will just swap out my stock intake and put it on the taco.
8. Cheaper insurance.
9. Wouldn't have to worry about the loose drivers seat and sulfur smell from the 4runner anymore.

Here are my cons:
1. GF wants to have kids soon and she thinks DC Taco doesn't constitute as a family ride. She keeps telling me to imagine her trying to take care of the kid while trying to drive manual.
2. She doesn't like manual transmissions. I love them.
3. I'm almost 2 years into my current car note and having to start all over again would suck. I swear I have never kept a car for more than 3 years.
4. They don't sell the Taco in the galactic grey that I like.

I actually like my 4runner. It's my daily driver and I don't do any offroading. I just lug my freeloadig friends around when we go skiing , etc. I just think that at this point it may make more sense but down the line another 4runner makes sense too. Should I just stick it out since we will have to buy another SUV in the future at some point or hope that she enjoys the taco? We plan on borrowing her infant cousin for the test drive to see how well a car seat fits, etc.

Of course I have a few other questions too:
1. Is $25,000 OTD way too unrealistic to try and swing what taco I want? I figured repeat toyota buyer in less than 2 years would be good enough to get a deal.
2. Is the liner of the bed the composite bed that comes with the truck? Have folks here gone with a spray in liner?
3. For those that have driven a newer 4 runner is the power comparable to the taco?
4. Any overwhelming TSB's or problems with the new Tacos?

Thanks in advance for qll the insight and help.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
I'd keep the 4runner...both taco and 4runner are great cars. I agree taco may have less payments, but then again, i'm guessing you've had the 4runner for 2 years to bring down your car-note! You make be looking at payment per month thingie, i'm looking at number of months (of payments). considering both, i'd keep the 4runner if things are tight!

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
IMHO opinion, (and having a young son), the DC is more practical than the 4runner.

The seating is not better in a 4runner, and the extra space in the back is usually wasted on stupid things that have no purpose to be there.

With a DC truck you have the same seating ability with a bed that you can actually use for a purpose.

Being a new homeowner, you will appreciate the bed for those trips to Lowes and Home Depot.

I would go with an automatic because soon enough you'll need that extra hand to turn around and pick up juice boxes, bottles, and sippy cups before they destroy the seats and carpet.

If you are getting married, things will change. Fact.

Don't let her start making your decisions for you now, cause she'll be doing it for you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE...

I can honestly say that there is more USABLE back seat room in this truck there was in my 96 SS Impala. (BIG ass car).

yes some people have but bedliner over the composite, but I don't really see the point, nor would I do it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Personally I think you should keep your 4Runner. The taco Dcab had plenty of room but if you have a house, plan on having kids, want to get married etc. just keep your one 04 4runner.

Plus if you got the Tacoma you would spend all your time here with us and your g/f soon to be fiance would problably leave you.

Keep your 4 runner for a couple years, its a great SUV and will be paid off and still running strong in 3 years.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Oh yeah, and most people have a car note. Might as well add that to you permanent budget calculations.

If it's cheaper to have the Taco, why not do it?

And what's the warranty on the 4Runner? If times are tight, I think it would make more sense to have a lower payment and know that you're not going to have to come out of pocket for an unexpected repair if you get the taco.

Try this:

Go to the dealership and tell them your situation.

Take a LOADED 4x4 home for a day or two and see if she changes her mind. I'm sure they would be willing to help you convince her!;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think the truck you want would be about $28,XXX MSRP, I think you will have a hard time getting it for $25,000 OTD depending on new car tax in your state, dealer fee's, etc.

Tax, dealer fee, etc on my truck was $1,000 alone, so you would have to get the truck for almost $4k+ under MSRP, most people do good with $3,000 under MSRP.

But like 55 said, go in tell them what your looking for, take it for a drive for a day and enjoy. Your G/F will like the truck after she rides in it.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Not to split hairs, but I brought home my 05 DC 4x4 Offroad from the fleet sales department for under 26k.

And they even cut me a check for the lift, wheels, and tires on my truck. So after all that I actually only paid 23,500 for my truck...

Larry Miller Toyota, PHX AZ

Don't deal with the sales floor. Call on the phone, tell them exactly what you want. If they don't have it ask them who does. Call them, confirm, and buy it from fleet sales. Have the financing complete with your bank ahead of time. Walk in, hand them the check, sign the required sales documents and walk out.

It will take less time, be less stressfull, and cost way less.

I repeat, don't deal with salesmen on the floor.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thats a hell of a deal. I did all of mine with the over the internet and I could only get $26,500 for the exact same truck. Guess your a better negotiator than me, so I stand corrected.

·
Buckeye
TACO 'O5 DBL OFFROAD
64 Posts
55reasons said:
Not to split hairs, but I brought home my 05 DC 4x4 Offroad from the fleet sales department for under 26k.

And they even cut me a check for the lift, wheels, and tires on my truck. So after all that I actually only paid 23,500 for my truck...

Don't deal with the sales floor. Call on the phone, tell them exactly what you want. If they don't have it ask them who does. Call them, confirm, and buy it from fleet sales. Have the financing complete with your bank ahead of time. Walk in, hand them the check, sign the required sales documents and walk out.

Damn!! Good advice for next time. This would bother me if I did not have a truck allowance for work.:ugh3:

I had a '93 4runner (a tad different from your 4runner) before my DC 4x4, and I am really happy with the versatility of the bed and still have as much room to haul 4 passengers (unless the newer 4runners have a 3rd seat).

If you bring a Taco home for an overnight trial, you will definitely end up buying one.:clap:

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Not really a better negotiator I don't think.

I think it's more like I don't negotiate.

They told me a price, I told them they were crazy and I would buy it online instead.

The price changed instantly, and the truck was in my driveway the next day.

I have bought waaaaaaaay too many new cars to screw around with salesmen, and / or pay retail for one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I've already been quoted $28,350 (Price before TTT was $26,550) OTD for what I am looking for so I figure with a little haggling I could get $2,500 off.

You're probably right about spending all of my time here if i get a Taco.

That was the other pro I forgot to mention. that my warranty runs out in 6,000 miles.

Don't have to worry about having her tell me what to do. i am having her sign a pre-nup!

Will Toyota really let me take a truck home for a day as opposed to a 15 minute test drive?

This was the best point:

"With a DC truck you have the same seating ability with a bed that you can actually use for a purpose."

Thanks for the good advice guys.

Keep 4 runner = 2 votes
Get Taco = 1 vote

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
If you have approved financing, they'll let you pork your GF in it for 24hrs.

And on a different subject:

Don't have to worry about having her tell me what to do. i am having her sign a pre-nup!
Didn't you learn anything from your first marriage? You think a legal document is going to make her not be a woman?

I have learned one thing from being married:
"Don't do it."

·
Registered
375 Posts
My wifes car is an 04 4runner. Love it. Actually saw my first 05 Taco almost a year ago when we were on the lot buying it.

I'm personally a little bigger fan of our 4runner, but it's a Limited that's loaded. I wish I could get a Tacoma that was just as nice inside. If you think you'd use the bed more I'd go with the Taco, otherwise I might stay with what you've got.

TL

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
55reasons said:
I have learned one thing from being married:
"Don't do it."
Dude..the guys' in love getting married! and thats you word of advise...be happy for him!
I've been married good 6 years, its not always fun...but one thing for sure..i'm appreciative that there is someone. Take your g/f for a testdrive. Ask her opinion (nothing wrong with a womans' input..if its anything like mine, she will tend to agree with what you may agree with...).

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
jhbhatia said:
Dude..the guys' in love getting married! and thats you word of advise...be happy for him!
I've been married good 6 years, its not always fun...but one thing for sure..i'm appreciative that there is someone.

I'm not really happy for anyone getting married. I feel bad for them more than anything...

And why is marriage required to stay with someone? Health insurance maybe? It's a situation created by the government and the church. It has nothing to do with "love".

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
55Reasons is a SAV.

Get the Tacoma man. I went from a fully loaded Grand Cherokee 2003. I regretted giving up all that luxury for a truck. Now I am in love with this Tacoma. If I could trade in my Jeep again I would in a heartbeat. I would get a Indigo Blue Tacoma this time!!!

Get automatic too. It's much nicer and refined. You will need the extra hands too if you have kids. Plus you can't get blown by ure g/f as easy. HAHAHAH :thumbup:

T4L = TACO FOR LIFE

·
1nDu57r14L 74c0
'06 Tacoma dbl 4x4
115 Posts
55reasons said:
I'm not really happy for anyone getting married. I feel bad for them more than anything...

And why is marriage required to stay with someone? Health insurance maybe? It's a situation created by the government and the church. It has nothing to do with "love".

:clap:

·
Registered
225 Posts
55reasons said:

That's a great deal considering dealer invoice is about $25800 was there a trade in ordid you use a hand gun and ski mask ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What kind of interest rate do you have on the 4 runner. Is it worth looking to refinance it for antoher 60 months at 6% APR. You might lose 500 more dollars in interest charges but you only finance 16k so your payment would be lower. Also once money is not so tight you can usually pay ahead and knock off the interest in the end.

You don't need a new vehicle you want to save money on a monthly basis!

·
Jackofallmasterofnone
100 Posts
Don't get married! :whatwhat: Sell the 4runner, and drive what you want be it stick or automatic. If your GF is already telling you she doesnt want to drive a stick and take care of kid just think what she will be telling you after she gets that ring on her finger. She will be driving your 4runner and you will be driving a beater. Plus few years down the road you will save a ton of money and be able to buy the next generation taco instead of paying for the divorce and child support.

Speaking from experience here. Just my .02:smokin:

Speedy Blue

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.