Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I'm Jan (pronounced yon), I'm just lurking around here. I have a 93 Camry LE, with a V6 auto, 181K miles, still running very well. I've owned the car for about 7 years now, maybe 8, I can't even remember anymore. I swore I'd never modify it, I can hop into my turbo type R when I want to go fast, when I get into my Camry, I enjoy the smooth, quiet power of the car, truly a joy to drive for the daily commute to work and back.

Well, my plan is to not do anything crazy with the car, but I would like to improve the intake flow path. The mass air sensor is square (counterintuitive to me..), so my first modification will be an open element filter...apparently AEM makes a cold air, and procarparts has an adaptor for the dyi person (which I am), anyways, I'm interested in seeing what everyone else has done to their Camrys, and I'm here to help too, if I see something that I can help with.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
First off, welcome. Second, this is the wrong place to say hello... do that in Me/Mine/Mods. Third, I have no idea what to do for your intake, I've got a drop-in TRD (K&N) filter, and thats it. And fourth, I don't mean to be a dick, but that pic of your ITR in your sig looks like a horrible photoshop... I know it's real, and that car is badass, but that pic is just bluah. Welcome! :D

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
good shit! welcome aboard! i think you should MOD THE CAMRY... you know you want a turbo'd camry... you know it. www.shiftgateperformance.com . you can have your turbo camry! you can!

ok forget that nonsense. you want cai? go custom. pvc pipe is great for cai... a lot of dudes have done that. get the aem bypass valve too though. thats a must. just do a search and you will find alllllll the info you could ever want about camrys. a lot of people have done custom cai's too... so you will find tons of threads about that stuff... but, if you want power, forced induction is where its at... head over to the shiftgate sites and check out the turbo kits.

-dave

edit: the pic looks real, just lots of glare and reflection from the trees... dont hate the turbo'd car. :) i like it... will be able to smoke it soon enough, but i like it.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Dave....:disappoin You've dulled down:(

Way to whore it up about SGP though :D That keeps you in my hero catagorie :)

But I would never do a turbo as my first mod. The best thing to do is build the engine first. Once you are done with that, then you go to F/I. And that is the point when all those other small mods make a difference.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3/2012 Ford Escape
7,130 Posts
hey, new guy...

your 93 camry has the 3vz-fe, dont mistake it with the 94+ V6, which is the 1mz-fe....

different engines, and hardly any useable parts (well, for mods) are interchangable...

you can get a turbo at shiftgate, like Zoni said...

oh, as for the ITR, you say it's boosted, but for how long..?

how strong is the B18c5..?

unless you really lowered the CP, i'd say any minute now...

BOOM...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
click the link in my sig for details about the R, high compression and boost go together very well, you just have to keep it reasonable (~10 Psig on an ITR..), mine has been boosted for 3 years, with close to 100 1/4 mile runs for you doubters..but this is not about the R, it's about the Camry..gotta give her some love too after all these years..

Thanks for the welcome..

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
i love how you say 10Psig... making the distinction between psig and psia... thats gauge pressure and absolute pressure guys... almost always in forced induction we talk psig, but its cool to see someone say it. :) sorry... just remembering an old engineering class... :)

yes i have dulled down. i have to be dull now cause i cant be an ass when i am representing SGP. Also, i havent been around TN lately, cause nothing new really happens around here... i am focused on building up the SGP forums and adding useful information to it in the form of FAQs. Peace dudes.

oh yeah, higher compression + a turbo is cool as long as you keep the pressure down. like he said, max around 10psi. The 5sfe is a very high compression engine, and a lot of people will be turboing that soon on this forum. I think compression and boost works well together, but only at lower boost. Lower the compression and you can raise the boost a little safer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
word..I do fluid fill testing, so I always make sure I make the distinction about Psig, Psia, mBar, millimeter, inches of watercolumn, etc...

thanks for the link too, looks like good stuff!
:thumbup:

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
its all in the works. in september, my car, bens car, mox's car and maybe one other will have a turbo kit on them. also, the sgp coilovers will be in testing in early september too.

the sgp forums ( http://shiftgate.mox.ca ) are to keep track of where we are on all the projects, AND to provide a good place for technical only information. its a no bullshit forum to really help people with problems, and educate them with tech info.

to see the status on the turbo kits go to www.shiftgateperformance.com/status.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.