Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a practical , reliable and economical car for work. I drive around 50-70 miles a day in new York city traffic. I'm going to look at a 2000 Toyota echo with 80k on it tomorrow. I need my next car to last me 5-10 years. I have done some research on these cars and I haven't really heard anything bad about them except for excessive road noise and wind vulnerability. Is the echo going to be the right car for my needs? Anything I should know going in to tomorrow? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just recently bought a 2000 echo with 48k...I really love this car...the road noise isn't that bad in my opinion...cross winds at tricky..lol...I had road noise but learned it was the cheap old tires..put some Yokohama avids..much better..good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Newbie One Kanobi
8,671 Posts
I'm looking for a practical , reliable and economical car for work. I drive around 50-70 miles a day in new York city traffic. I'm going to look at a 2000 Toyota echo with 80k on it tomorrow. I need my next car to last me 5-10 years. I have done some research on these cars and I haven't really heard anything bad about them except for excessive road noise and wind vulnerability. Is the echo going to be the right car for my needs? Anything I should know going in to tomorrow? Thanks in advance guys.

If you're looking for the most basic transportation short of a bike cycle then you are in the right direction:lol: Yes I have an ECHO so I can say so:D

But yeah if you are just looking for A to B then its up your ally. Yeah I'd say winds knock it around but only if its strong winds. The car is slabsided and the downside of having all that green house is the wind and unstability. But unless you live in a place where its always windy its a very minor issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently get 20 mpg average with my 02 monter Carlo, what would be reasonable mpg with the echo?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well, I have an 01 with 80K miles... Bought with 60K miles... Normal MPG is 45 for me. But I don't live in stop/go traffic.

How about the second most reliable car right behind the Honda Fit? The Fit only gets in the 30's MPG ... Yes echo is Cheap, and looks a bit cheap and small. But it's not small for me and I'm 6'1... I'd never sell my Echo. Matter of fact, I am going to buy a Yaris or Echo again.

I'd say it's more than A/B transportation. Gas here is @ 4.30 a gallon and happy to have a car that pushes well into the 40MPG range.

Short of a Bicycle? Are you sure you own an echo? Your just mad because you're echo won't die.... Allowing you to appreciate how good you got it! :)

I hope to see 200K miles roll around on my odometer. If you want reliability, excellent gas mileage, roomy car, easy to work on... Than buy an Echo.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
8,671 Posts
I currently get 20 mpg average with my 02 monter Carlo, what would be reasonable mpg with the echo?

Unless there is something wrong or you're always in below 0 weather you should get way better mpg. Even days when I don't think it will be "high" its above 30 and the worst situations upper 20s. BUT consistently lower 40s. In the summer mid to high 40s. Mostly low to mid 40s. Granted there are tricks to the trade and no I don't have to hypermill. Of course I have a led foot so....but even then I get decent mpg. Not only these cars are obviously FE designed they are light so that means less mass for the engine to use gas to move. The down side is rain or snow it slides easily. Sure tires can help but that can only do so much for a car on stilts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 2000 echo in April of 2008 with 75,000 miles on it. Just turned 162,000 miles on it after 5 years. Still runs great, had to replace the MAF sensor once, rear shocks,a battery, tires and a bunch of oil changes. Original clutch, and I have not had to do the brakes yet.

Car gets 37.5 mpg, mixed driving, average since I bought it, it has dropped a mile or so in the 5 years I've had it.

For a Commuter car, you can't beat it, I have a 60 mile round trip commute, and parked my truck which was getting 17 mpg. Don't like to take it on trips, feels a little vulnerable on the highway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an '02 echo 5 speed with 215k miles. On a bad day (60% city driving) ill average 36mpg. Note that I am running an AEM cold air intake. I have achieved a max mpg of 45mpg on a road trip in the mountains.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Yaris (2008) sedan. If the older echos come in the sedan model, they are sleeker and have less wind noise. I would recommend the sedan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honestly, pretty much any echo owner I have ever met loves their car. Even if it is a love/hate relationship haha.

I own a 2000 Echo Manual with 107k miles on it, and it's my baby. Amazing fuel economy, and it handles decently well (sort of feels like driving a go car sometimes, quick off the start and tight turning radius). It has a respectable horsepower to weight ratio.

Cons? Parts can be hard to find for it depending on where you live, and like mentioned above severe crosswinds can make your bloodpressure rise. Also, as I know from personal experience, other cars will **cut right through you**. I was in an accident where another vehicle hit me and came away unscathed while my echo was demolished... it's like driving a tin can in that aspect. Mind you, it's my favorite tin can ever, and I spent over a month rebuilding it because it meant that much to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
But if you need a car to last you 5-10 years, buy a newer one. A good '00 may last but if you are in NYC stop and go driving, think about a 2005+ hatch with power steering and an automatic. it may do 30 mpgs in city/34 mpgs but thats still much better than what you have now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts