Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Prizm aka Corolla with 180k that I have never had trouble with until recently. It died while driving and no longer starts. It turns over but does not fire. I first thought it was the fuel pump, but after changing that out with no luck I realized there was no spark. So far I've tried a new ignitor and even a completely different dizzy with no luck. I've heard it could be the ECM, but am skeptical. Do they usually go out? I'd appreciate any ideas or tests as I need to get this thing back on the road asap. Thanks...

·
Registered
AE92 Corolla GTS
75 Posts
Check Your timing belt! I had the same problem....roll over with no spark. I tried a new ECU and ignitor with no luck. Then I checked the cap & rotor and with the cap removed I had a buddy hit the starter but the rotor didn't move. That's when I checked the timing belt!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
coil is internal on the 7afe..... if he got an entire new dizzy...... which has the coil and the ignitor internally..... along with the magnetic pickups.... then he either has a wire severed to the ecu from the ignitor, a bad ecu, or even possibly a bad cap (if the carbon button for the coil came out, then it won't work)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The dizzy that I got was actually a used one that I was told was completely functional. I didn't even think to check whether the rotor was spinning, so I'll do that. Is the carbon button the one in the center of the cap?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
yes, it's the black button in the center of the cap..... but there should be a lead over on the coil side as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Button and lead seem to be intact, and the rotor does in fact spin. So is it likely the ECM, or is there anything else I should check? I just want to be sure before shelling out so much money! Thanks guys...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to a million junkyards today looking for and ECU and came back empty handed! Talk about hard to find. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to bump this one last time in the off chance that anyone had any final suggestions. Thanks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts