Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my motor out of my `85 tonight.Wheww!It`ll be a little easier next time I`m sure.Here`s whats` going on:I was planning on dropping in the 22r out of a`84 4-runner I have,"no Title".It has a recent rebuild on it and looks to be in pretty good shape.I was told it only needed a starter to run.I have noticed that the `84 has an o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.The `85 didn`t have one.I couldn`t even find anything similar on the `85.What the heck do I do?Is there a way around this ?Am I missing something?I really want to use this motor as the one in the `85 was really treated rough by the previous owner.
I tore into the motor out of the `85 a little tonight.All the rods seemed to be good except for #3;that`s the one.It had a lot of play.I think the whole problem with this motor has to do with way too much fuel being dumped in.It had what looked to be too much oil in it;once I got a smell of it I realized it was a lot of fuel mixed in.I did notice that the emissions tube "the big metal one" that bolts to the top of the intake was clogged solid as a rock with carbon.I tried poking it with a screwdriver and it didn`t do anything.Would this cause some fueling issues?
I know it`s a lot but thanks for any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
905 Posts
thing is ... 84 and 85 engines .. are totally different . it defanatly will be some work to get them interchanged ...

·
Registered
84 4X4 toyota pickup
342 Posts
m 84 doesn't have an O2 sensor so you may have a 22RE or a 22RE exhaust manifold or something weird. also i'm pretty sure that the 84 and 85 engines are the exact same and interchangable unless they're a 22R and 22RE in which case it would be only be the lower end that you could exchange. but i could be wrong to but from what has been said here previously it sounds like they're all pretty interchangable.

·
Registered
905 Posts
84yotapup said:
m 84 doesn't have an O2 sensor so you may have a 22RE or a 22RE exhaust manifold or something weird. also i'm pretty sure that the 84 and 85 engines are the exact same and interchangable unless they're a 22R and 22RE in which case it would be only be the lower end that you could exchange. but i could be wrong to but from what has been said here previously it sounds like they're all pretty interchangable.

wrong ...

if ya dont believe me ... the read here . http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar119838.htm

They are not the same .
84 efi was analoge ... 85+ was digital ... they are NO way even close .

·
Registered
84 4X4 toyota pickup
342 Posts
i stand corrected

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your 85 truck should have an 02 sensor, it doesn`t matter if its carbed or EFI, your truck won`t run properly with out it. my 85 has an 02 sensor and its carbed, and the motor is all stock.

·
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
88 Toyota 2wd
22 Posts
slacker said:
thats california only ...
That explains why my '88 doesn't have an o2 sensor, it's carbed, has a cat but no o2 sensor that I've ever seen and I've been all over that thing.

·
Registered
82 toyota pickup SR
91 Posts
ok sombody enlighten me my 82 has an o2 sensor on it but i thought that you needed a fuel injected engine for it to work as its controlled by a ECM computer it bein a 22r and carbed ECM computer?what computer?
if its carbed what purpose is the sensor on it to begin with and how is it controlled?
dare i ask how much to replace ? Hmmmm ....cuz am thinking thats part of my excessive fuel comsumption and running rich problem

Larry

·
Registered
87 2WD,86 2 WD
20 Posts
raymeg said:
I got my motor out of my `85 tonight.Wheww!It`ll be a little easier next time I`m sure.Here`s whats` going on:I was planning on dropping in the 22r out of a`84 4-runner I have,"no Title".It has a recent rebuild on it and looks to be in pretty good shape.I was told it only needed a starter to run.I have noticed that the `84 has an o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.The `85 didn`t have one.I couldn`t even find anything similar on the `85.What the heck do I do?Is there a way around this ?Am I missing something?I really want to use this motor as the one in the `85 was really treated rough by the previous owner.
I tore into the motor out of the `85 a little tonight.All the rods seemed to be good except for #3;that`s the one.It had a lot of play.I think the whole problem with this motor has to do with way too much fuel being dumped in.It had what looked to be too much oil in it;once I got a smell of it I realized it was a lot of fuel mixed in.I did notice that the emissions tube "the big metal one" that bolts to the top of the intake was clogged solid as a rock with carbon.I tried poking it with a screwdriver and it didn`t do anything.Would this cause some fueling issues?
I know it`s a lot but thanks for any help you guys can give.
hey raymeg i did this swap about a year ago on my 87,but i put a 94 model engine in it.the 87 was carbd but it was a straight forward swap. the 84 engine you have is a direct bolt in for the 85,they are a little different dimensionally but it will work without any problems. in my 87a previous owner had put an 83-84 model engine in it. i am running a94 model engine with a carb everything bolted up as far as the exhaust manifold goes if the 85 manifold wont bolt up just run the 84 without hooking up the 02 sensor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts