Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

the radio in my 1987 corolla has packed up, but i want to replace it with another toyota one (just because i think it looks better) but my problem is that all the ones on ebay seem to be from newer toyotas which have different connections.

if i was buying a branded radio (like jvc, sony, pioneer, etc) then i could just use a wiring harness to get an ISO standard plug that would fit in the back of the new stereo. However, since my new stereo will be toyota, there doesn't seem to be any way of getting a harness that will go from old toyota -> new toyota.

the car has connections like the P910 here (only has front speakers).
and the new radio i think would have a connection like 14P here.

the only way i can think to get around it is to remove the old plug and solder a metal jacket onto the end of each wire, then manually slide each jacket over the correct pin on the new radio. (btw, i have a little wire extension attached to my car, so i would NOT have to cut the plug off the wiring in the car, i can butcher this little extension cable without risk of ruining things)

anyone have any thoughts about what is the best thing to do? should i just give up and buy a non-toyota brand radio?

cheers,
joe.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
That is why you just go buy an alpine, kenwood, or a pioneer. They are far better than factory decks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts