Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

moving from one problem to another with my transmission replacement on my 2007 matrix xr.
Got everything back together and test drove it yesterday. it feels like the clutch is slipping a bit going into first. I feel a loss of power with a small increase in rpm while starting up hill or starting quickly. Car smelled burny after 20 miles and back in the garage. I have heard different things about the clutch needing to be "broken in" but this seems like a issue that is not going to fix its self.

I was careful about not getting grease on the flywheel or clutch (used brake cleaner), am sure i installed the clutch the right direction, the fork and bearing moved well. i had some issue getting the trans to line up but it went together without too much fighting. It may have hung up a little on the clutch but not sure... this is my first attempt at doing a job like this. The only thing I can think is that i unknowingly bent the clutch while the trans shaft while installing.

Basically i'm hoping to have a decent guess as to what i did wrong. That way if i have to take the transmission off again at least i wont make the same mistake again.

Very discouraged, any advice is welcome

Thanks!!

· One with the farce
5,203 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the push rod on the clutch pedal? It could be too far out, and applying pressure on the clutch release bearing even when your foot isn’t on the pedal.

· One with the farce
5,203 Posts
Is the clutch system hydraulic or mechanical ? If mechanical your adjustment is just off. If hydraulic you need to bleed the slave cylinder.
I assume you replaced the pressure plate with the new clutch friction disc..
This is not correct. If the hydraulic clutch circuit had air in it, the problem would be that the clutch would not release and the gears would grind between shifts.

· Registered
78 Posts
Have you tried an inspection camera with a long flexible probe? If you take the rubber boot off the fork I think you can look inside the bell housing while someone pushes down the clutch pedal. Maybe that will reveal that the clutch is not being completely disengaged? A partially engaged clutch does smell 'burned'.

Regarding the alternative hypothesis, the clutch rod should push on the lever (on the fork) by extruding out of the slave cylinder boot by 11mm, is that happening? You can measure the protrusion with a metric ruler while someone depresses the pedal.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update: I took it to the mechanic. He said what i thought was slipping was actually more like vibration. He thinks that it is probably something to do with the teeth of the pressure plate not being engaged equally. He told me not to worry about it because it wont damage anything. The problem has gotten much better in the last couple of days. I did adjust the free play but i dont think that helped much.

· Registered
189 Posts
This is not correct. If the hydraulic clutch circuit had air in it, the problem would be that the clutch would not release and the gears would grind between shifts.
I NEVER said bleed air. I was refering to excess hyd pressure like trying to release pressure to open the brake caliper fully for new pads. Excess hyd pressure can keep a clutch pressed.

· Registered
37 Posts
Hey all,

moving from one problem to another with my transmission replacement on my 2007 matrix xr.
Got everything back together and test drove it yesterday. it feels like the clutch is slipping a bit going into first. I feel a loss of power with a small increase in rpm while starting up hill or starting quickly. Car smelled burny after 20 miles and back in the garage. I have heard different things about the clutch needing to be "broken in" but this seems like a issue that is not going to fix its self.

I was careful about not getting grease on the flywheel or clutch (used brake cleaner), am sure i installed the clutch the right direction, the fork and bearing moved well. i had some issue getting the trans to line up but it went together without too much fighting. It may have hung up a little on the clutch but not sure... this is my first attempt at doing a job like this. The only thing I can think is that i unknowingly bent the clutch while the trans shaft while installing.

Basically i'm hoping to have a decent guess as to what i did wrong. That way if i have to take the transmission off again at least i wont make the same mistake again.

Very discouraged, any advice is welcome

Thanks!!
What did Your Flywheel look like? It Is possible that the Clutch is slipping on the Clutch disc. Probably not though. Also Is their A Pilot Bearing In The Flywheel? This Is Not So much for your application but for Anyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.