·
what car? Im just a Tech
2010 XRS 1G3
161 Posts
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

most brakes are this basic so have fun.

Step 1: Identify Front Disc Brake Components

Front Wheel Drive Brake Assembly
Most front disc brake components include: brake rotor, brake pads, brake caliper, caliper mount and brake flex hose. Brake service usual occurs between 20,000 and 40,000 miles depending on driver habits, road conditions and brake pad/ rotor materials used.
Step 2: Remove Brake Caliper to Replace Pads

Removing Brake Caliper Mounting Bolts
Locate primary caliper mounting bolts; apply wrench pressure counter-clockwise (When looking at the head of the bolt) to remove the bolts, upper and lower. Make sure the bolt threads are in good shape and replace if necessary.
Step 3: Remove Front Brake Caliper

Remove Front Brake Caliper
After removing the primary caliper mounting bolts lift the brake caliper off of the rotor and then tie or secure to the side, being careful not to bend or kink the brake caliper flex hose. Thoroughly inspect brake caliper and brake hoses for leakage, cracks or chaffing and replace as needed. Next remove the brake pads (If not mounted in the caliper) and secondary caliper mounting bolts. Notice how great protective gloves work, most technicians use them on the job today.
Step 4: Remove Brake Pads

Remove Front Brake Pads
Once the brake pads have been removed, make sure if there is anti rattle hardware to transfer to the new brake pads. Some brake pad manufacturers will include the proper lube (Caliper slides) and anti-rattle hardware to ensure proper performance of their product.
Step 5: Remove Caliper Mount

Remove Caliper Mount Bracket
Finish removing secondary caliper mount bolts and remove caliper mount. Note: clean and lube caliper slides and pad friction surfaces of all foreign material or build-up.
Step 6: Remove Brake Rotor

Remove Brake Rotor
With the caliper mount out of the way you can now remove the brake rotor. Sometimes it can get stuck so you may need to tap it with a hammer or use penetrating oil to free it up. Some manufacturers use small screws to hold the rotor on as well. Clean and inspect wheel studs, replace if any are damaged. Also clean bearing hub rotor mount surface to ensure the proper mounting of the new brake rotor. Inspect the ABS sensor [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR] for cracks or damage and replace as needed.
Step 7: Depressing the Brake Caliper

Resetting Brake Caliper
To install the new brake pads you must retract the brake caliper piston. Remove the master cylinder lid or open the brake caliper bleeder screw to allow excess brake fluid to be released if necessary. Install C clamp tool and gently tighten clamp until caliper piston is fully depressed. Note: use old brake pad to protect the caliper piston. Close the bleeders once the piston is retracted completely
Step 8: Installing New Brake Rotor

Install Brake Rotor
Install new brake rotor, the new rotor is manufactured with a protective film over the rotor to keep it from rusting, remove protective film with brake cleaner before installing; also after the brake job is complete you may experience a small amount of smoke from the rotor when first used. This is normal and will go away after the first couple of uses.
Step 9: Installing New Front Brake Pads

Installing New Brake Pads
Reinstall the front brake caliper mount, and then install front brake pads. Make sure the pads are seated properly in the caliper mount; it must be a close fit to work properly..
Step 10: Reinstall Front Brake Caliper

·
what car? Im just a Tech
2010 XRS 1G3
161 Posts
it only needs changing is its warp or excessive wear, sometimes it just cheaper to buy a new one than to get it cut

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
it only needs changing is its warp or excessive wear, sometimes it just cheaper to buy a new one than to get it cut
on top of this, you also need to meet min spec for cutting. most rotors can be cut once or twice and then youd need to replace them after.

·
what car? Im just a Tech
2010 XRS 1G3
161 Posts
anyone know torque settings for caliper bolts?

thx!!
just hand tighten it with your wrench. just snug it up as good as you can, but try not to break it.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
Front Pads:
Standard thickness:
12.0 mm (0.472 in.)
Minimum thickness:
1.0 mm (0.0394 in.)

Front Rotors:
Standard thickness:
22.0 mm (0.866 in.)
Minimum thickness:
19.0 mm (0.748 in.)
Maximum disc runout:
0.05 mm (0.00197 in.)

Rear Drum:
Standard inside diameter:
228.6 mm (9.00 in.)
Maximum inside diameter:
229.6 mm (9.04 in.)

Rear Shoe:
Standard thickness:
5.0 mm (0.197 in.)
Minimum thickness:
1.0 mm (0.0394 in.)

Rear Rotor:
Standard Thickness:
9.0 mm (0.354 in.)
Minimum Thickness:
7.5 mm (0.295 in.)

Rear Pads:
Standard thickness:
9.5 mm (0.374 in.)
Minimum thickness:
1.0 mm (0.0394 in.)
Maximum disc runout:
0.15 mm (0.00591 in.)

Hope all this info helps!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
finished the job. 79lb-ft on the caliper bracket bolts, a good tug on a 1/2" drive ratchet for approximate 25lb-ft (torque wrench doesn't go down to 25) on the caliper to bracket bolts and 79lb-ft again on the lugs.

The rotors and pads looked OK. The rotors were heavily glazed... which is surprising. I replaced them with nice Centric rotors and Raybestos Pro pads and carefully lubed all the metal on metal points, replaced all the spring clips too.

Went out and bedded them in, cooled them off and went for a drive later. Feels good and smooth, really quiet.

In a day or two I will drop the front wheels and retorque, done deal.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
Do the brake lines have to be bled on these cars? I was told with ABS brakes you dont have to do it. It that true?
is it required that you bleed the brake fluid whenever it even gets close to dirty maybe not even close to that. Follow the recommended maintenance and you should be fine b/c you dont wanna risk it. ABS is just a computer that detects when the wheel has been locked. if your brakes fail then I dont think ABS would even engage:lol::ugh3:

I changed the fluid in my 4runner and the brakes feel much better now.
all fluids must be changed at some point in a vehicles lifespan. It depends on when it is needed

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know it's an old thread but didn't want to start a whole new thread on the same topic.

In regards to brake fluid. After doing a brake job the brake fluid rises in the master cylinder, which is normal. Would that be a good time to use a turkey baster and remove the fluid from the master cylinder and replace it with new Toyota approved brake fluid?

I HATE/DESPISE bleeding brakes and I was told this method is a lot easier and while it does NOT replace 100% of all the old brake fluid, it does replace the majority of it and doesn't require air bleeding.

Lastly, a 2010 Corolla uses DOT 3 fluid, correct? Non-synthetic.

Any comments?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,205 Posts
I know it's an old thread but didn't want to start a whole new thread on the same topic.

In regards to brake fluid. After doing a brake job the brake fluid rises in the master cylinder, which is normal. Would that be a good time to use a turkey baster and remove the fluid from the master cylinder and replace it with new Toyota approved brake fluid?

I HATE/DESPISE bleeding brakes and I was told this method is a lot easier and while it does NOT replace 100% of all the old brake fluid, it does replace the majority of it and doesn't require air bleeding.

Lastly, a 2010 Corolla uses DOT 3 fluid, correct? Non-synthetic.

Any comments?
Why not just bleed the brakes & replace all the fluid? It's not that hard to do & not that long. Changing the fluid in the master cylinder doesn't change any of the fluid in the lines which is important. :thumbsup:

If you bleed & replace the brake fluid you should be okay using a Dot 3 or 4 non-synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm attempting to do my first brake job. My current rotors are rusted and I'm trying to either paint them or replace them completely and I'm leaning towards just replacing them. What brand brake rotors and pads do you guys suggest. Should I go with my local autozone's Duralast Gold? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,205 Posts
I'm attempting to do my first brake job. My current rotors are rusted and I'm trying to either paint them or replace them completely and I'm leaning towards just replacing them. What brand brake rotors and pads do you guys suggest. Should I go with my local autozone's Duralast Gold? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
You could try anything. I'm going to use EBC Redstuff pads as I know many people my local Toyota club that use them and love them. Low dust and increased stopping power. I've never tried the ones you listed but I'll bet they are okay.

I just replaced my soon to be son-in-law's RF caliper and pads today. He was out exploring some areas and his caliper fell off. He just bought the 2008 RAV4 2 weeks ago and I think that the bolts were never properly tightened at some recent time. They both fell off which allowed the caliper to come loose. Then when he pushed the brake pedal the caliper piston fell out and the brake pads fell off too! He was able to limp it back to my house and we replaced the caliper, pads and bled the brakes. And I made sure that all the caliper bolts were tight at all 4 corners. I did find one loose bolt on another caliper too!

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
731 Posts
Do not paint your rotors! It needs to be a bare metal to get good stopping. Do not replace them either if they are not warped or within the specifications.

For the brake pads I recommend using Akebono brand. I have never had any problems with them.

Good luck,
Sam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts