Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the Lithium-Ion will give better MPG.

But since the nickel-metal hydride has been used for a long time in the Prius's I assume the non dealer NIMH support is more robust than the Lithium-Ion?

Which is a better choice for keeping a long time? Which is better in cold climates?
May keep for 10+ years so would the NIMH have more aftermarket choices to replace the battery?

·
6,491 Posts
NiMeHy.
Can't go wrong there. They do not explode, they are much easier to transport, cheaper and, being borrowed from aircraft industry, are very solid.

Famous Prius taxi cab longevity research was done on them, not on LiIo ones.

Or, sit and wait till Toyota releases all electric in a year or two.

·
6,491 Posts
They just came up with a pick up that has 800 hp and tows 11 000 lb. Goes 400 miles on one charge. Ravion or something.

Toyota said to go all electric by 2020. It's 1 yr away. Electrics proliferate faster than mushrooms after rain. Going hybrid right now is basically buying already obsolete inventory. Surely they want to sell them. Do you have to be their sponsor though?

·
Newb
Prius + Highlander
55 Posts
I don't think you announce a new gas powered Supra and claim to be going all electric a year later. Unless you mean all new and refreshed models will be all electric after 2020...

·
6,491 Posts
No, they said that they will have electric vehicle choice in their line of products. Like an option. It does not really matetr what they announce. Supra has years lasting reputation that will sell, they may be simply riding the wave.
Two things stay factitious though and it's clearly seen out in the world:
1. electrics ARE proliferating loud and clear by EVERY manufacturer. So someone gave an order to do so.
2. by 2028 or 2030, depends who you listen to, most of those countries that count, maybe Russia aside, though I doubt, are going to ban combustion engines. And then what are you going to do with all those you bought? Scrap them buy new ones?
Factories are very costly to switch to a new line of manufacturing. Hence, they will use them, set up as is, to the last moment, to produce what they can for profit. It's big money global politics.

As of Supra. Any same class electric will out perform it. They are riding the old wave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts