Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4AFESPEED
93 Geo Prizm
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have considering going the nitrous route to really make my prizm move. I want to go with a wet kit because nitrous is a little unsafe due to leaning out the fuel so bad.

Has anyone had problems running nitrous on any of their cars? I only want to run a 50 shot, nothing crazy.

·
No one particular!
'14 Avalon XLE
212 Posts
Even if you don't blow you engine you surely will create much quicker wear and tear on the car, thus premature failure of parts.

·
4AFESPEED
93 Geo Prizm
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only plan on using it every now and then, not daily or anything.

and yes i know how to retard the timing accordingly so it doesn't knock.

the bottom end feels real strong and i plan on using moderate jets. prob a 35 on the street and 50 at the track, not a 100 or something unreal.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If its being fueled properly (ie not running lean) this particular motor should last a long time with Nitrous even if you were to use it every day. The key is proper setup w/enough fuel and not too much timing. If its not detonating (pinging) and running hot from being lean is what kills the engine. Nitrous is a form of forced induction. The engine has forged pistons & rods, it should last a long time even at 250hp with out even breaking a sweat. You spent the money on good components, might as well get some use out of them.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
^it also has 11:1 compression ratio....

it should last a long time even at 250hp with out even breaking a sweat
hah, 250hp going Forced induction can be tricky. And you wont do that with 11:1 CR either. It wont be easy with nitrous either. Just because you have forged rods and pistons, doesnt mean your engine will be super strong.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Flashmn said:
^it also has 11:1 compression ratio....

hah, 250hp going Forced induction can be tricky. And you wont do that with 11:1 CR either. It wont be easy with nitrous either. Just because you have forged rods and pistons, doesnt mean your engine will be super strong.
I am more form the SBC Chevy world, but I see tons of guys running 11.0:1 compression and N2O. With Forged pistons and a stronger lower end, its just begging for nitrous. I had planned to do a 383 stroker with N2O, but then I got into Turbo's and SC's. I personally wouldn't be jumping up and down factory piston with that high of compression, but I see guy running 5-6 SC as well on similair compression and the factory cast crap. The key is to do your homework with Nitrous, don't cut corners, and just because you neighbor down the street did a kit cheaply and used it 10 years doesn't mean its safest choice. I would do a wet kit, bottle heater, RPM window switch and use a quality name brand kit and use reasonable sized jets.

·
4AFESPEED
93 Geo Prizm
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car already runs rich as hell from the stock tune, but i would think it would be safer if I did the following to accompany the nitrous:

Fuel Pump
time for some injectors maybe?
fuel pressure regulator
wet kit from NX
colder range plugs
timing retarded accordingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts