Toyota Nation Forum banner

No air from main vents

1K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Ksliving 
#1 ·
Hello new here and I need help. I have 1993 Toyota Camry. One day I put the vents on the front defrost and when I went to put it back on main vents I hear a popping noise and only get air from defroster and driver side vent. Feet vents work also. The popping noise happens anytime I try to put the main vents on like a vacuum suction noise. Please help. I have a video of the noise but don’t know how to post here

#2 ·
What trim level is in your Camry? And Analog or Digital environmental controls? These selector switches control vacuum actuated baffle doors that direct air to the appropriate ducting when selected. If you hear a “vacuum sound” perhaps one of the vacuum lines has popped off an actuator or split/broke down line somewhere. Also possible is broken door or door hinge in the ducting.

#4 · (Edited)
Watch this YouTube video and see if it helps. If you have never worked on a car, this will all look very intimidating. And it is. One of my least favorite repairs due to decades old brittle plastic and how easily it breaks, and how deep you must go into the dash to do work on it. Lemme know what you think after you watch it. Your problem 'COULD' be the blend doors, or an ELECTRICAL issue. Post video if you can, it will help us help you.

Press this icon to post a picture from your computer or phone. Link a YouTube video from the 'chainlink' just to the left of that icon, etc. Just hover your mouse cursor over the icons to see what you can do while editing. Good Luck!
Font Line Sky Electric blue Circle

#8 ·
without seeing exactly which switches you are turning and when, and the A/C's response to those switch changes, it's impossible to discern what control changes, if any, are responsible for the popping sounds. Back your phone up, film in landscape mode vs portrait mode and make changes one at a time instead of raking through them all at once. Thanks.

#7 ·
i watched that video before and I thought that cable was just for switching the temperature since on my car that’s where it leads to, to let coolant into the heater core. After you watch my video let me know if you think it’s the same thing.

#9 ·
Okay I’ll do that tomorrow. And I don’t think it’s the ac or heater because it makes that noise on both its just when I select the vent position to the main vents. Doesn’t make the noise when I turn it to defrost or feet only to all main vents. But tomorrow I’ll record it again from further away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.