Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the stock bench seat with Recaro bucket seats and now the airbags - drivers and passengers - will not work (warning lights on) and the seatbelt chime does not work. I have a bad back and car salesman said it was OK to replace the bench seat with aftermarket and all that was necessary was to have the service dept “reset” something and the airbags would work. The service dept now said none of airbags will work unless the stock bench seat is replaced. I knew that I would loose the airbags that are sewn into the bench seat, but I don’t care. How can I get the rest of the airbags to work?

Badback and frustrated: 2009 Tacoma, standard cab, 4x2, 60 miles on odometer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You shouldn't have listened to the salesman- they rarely know a damn thing about their product and will say anything to make the sale. But hindsight is always 20/20. I don't think you'll be able to get the airbag functionality back. Both seating positions have a weight sensor to tell the truck if the seat is occupied. This explains the loss of the chime, and will also set an airbag code/malfunction. I don't know if the bench seat has side bags in it or not, but if it did, and they are now gone, the truck knows this and will also set a code. I think you can either keep your Recaros and not have airbags or put the factory seats back and have them but be uncomfortable.

Who did the install? Any shop worth a shit ought to have known this would cause issues and warn you about it. There is no "resetting" of things like this, once an airbag/sensor is removed from the system, the code stays, no matter what.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I didnt' know bench seats came with air bags. You can try to remove the sensor from the bench seat, and install it into your new ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be happy to post some pics when the job is completed. I have one seat in grey leather that matches the interior. The other seat was damaged in shipping and there is a well used black loaner (dusty floor model) as a temp replacement. Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning toward taking all the parts/wiring harness from the bench seat and doing a transplant. Does anyone know of a auto electric shop near Long Beach CA?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I didnt' know bench seats came with air bags. You can try to remove the sensor from the bench seat, and install it into your new ones.
they dont. But they do have sensors in the seat.

to the OP: You need to get the sensors out of the bech seat and fit them in the aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
97 Posts
let me check. There is a shop in long beach that specializes in aftermarket seat installation (they do Recaros). Please don't tell me they screwed you up on this. I have a set of Reacros in my garage, but with the side airbags in my 09 DC, I figured it was impossible to do the swap.

I'll check tomorrow. Let me know if you find a solution

·
I aim for squirrels
2007 Tacoma Offroad
111 Posts
Why don't you just figure out which circuits are for the seat sensors and close/ground them wherever you disconnected the seat? The downside is that both would go off if you got in an accident, but at that point, who really cares...

·
Registered
Black 2006 DC LB
92 Posts
Like herc said, it's really not a big deal... the weight sensors are simple switches that will open or close with the presence of a person.

Are all the above posters positive that the drivers seat has a sensor? I know my '06 doublecab doesnt have a sensor on the drivers seat. Kind of counter-intuitive, trying to detect if somebody is in the drivers seat... if you are in an accident somebody was driving.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Like herc said, it's really not a big deal... the weight sensors are simple switches that will open or close with the presence of a person.

Are all the above posters positive that the drivers seat has a sensor? I know my '06 doublecab doesnt have a sensor on the drivers seat. Kind of counter-intuitive, trying to detect if somebody is in the drivers seat... if you are in an accident somebody was driving.
You all need to take a look at the wiring diagram. There are more sensors than simply the passenger detection (weight) sensors involved. And yes, even the drivers side has sensors that tie into the overall airbag system.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
Chalkie's right. In the '06, the bench seat uses a pressure pad under the passenger butt pad, and there is also a seat position sensor on the front leg of the seat to tell the bag how hard to inflate. Plus the two seat belt buckle switches. I don't know if it's the same for the '09 but I'd start there.

The pressure pad can probably be reused. The position sensor will be harder to reengineer but there should be ways. I don't know what they did with the seat belts; if they reused them the chime should still work.

FYI, the bucket seats are different: the passenger side doesn't use a pressure pad, it uses four pressure sensors on the four legs. The driver's side doesn't consider driver weight but it does have a seat position sensor. I think it's just a two-position close/far from the airbag deal but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The sensors won't likely be able to be re-used. When I worked for Hyundai, it was a fabric or flexible plastic deal that stuck to the seat, or in some cases, was part of the cushion itself and was non-removable. No idea how Toyota works. I can see what I can find out though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why don't you just figure out which circuits are for the seat sensors and close/ground them wherever you disconnected the seat? The downside is that both would go off if you got in an accident, but at that point, who really cares...

+1

That's what I would do. Better than no airbags at all. Just make some sort of jumper to go on the plug and away you go.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
+1

That's what I would do. Better than no airbags at all. Just make some sort of jumper to go on the plug and away you go.
Politely put, I think you are both talking out of your hats.

There are reasons that it takes special training to work on the SRS systems. The airbag sensor system takes input from numerous points around the truck, not just the seats, and they are not just simple on/off switches. If you would bother to look at the wiring diagram, you would see that. Part of input comes from the Occupant Classification ECU, which again does not have simple on/off inputs.

To tell someone to just ground them out, is IMO, irresponsible. You have disconnect the battery before working on the SRS system, and even then you are warned to wait as the system has a backup power source. Hopefully, the OP has the common sense to seek expert advice before attempting anything that has the potential to cause injury, such as an airbag deploying when you least expect it.

One final thought. It is against federal law to intentionally disable airbag systems, and in many states the vehicle will not pass an inspection without a functioning airbag system.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Politely put, I think you are both talking out of your hats.

There are reasons that it takes special training to work on the SRS systems. The airbag sensor system takes input from numerous points around the truck, not just the seats, and they are not just simple on/off switches. If you would bother to look at the wiring diagram, you would see that. Part of input comes from the Occupant Classification ECU, which again does not have simple on/off inputs.

To tell someone to just ground them out, is IMO, irresponsible. You have disconnect the battery before working on the SRS system, and even then you are warned to wait as the system has a backup power source. Hopefully, the OP has the common sense to seek expert advice before attempting anything that has the potential to cause injury, such as an airbag deploying when you least expect it.

One final thought. It is against federal law to intentionally disable airbag systems, and in many states the vehicle will not pass an inspection without a functioning airbag system.

Word. Taking advice like that is a good way to take an airbag to the face when your head is right in front of the dash. I've personally seen airbags that were laid facedown launch 20-30 feet into the air. They have kick, don't mess with them unless you know what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
check the wiring diagram. I wouldn't go near this without some major expertise, too many fancy sensors and ECU.

Did you know we have an Occupant Classification ECU(pp191 - 192)? Is it programmed for Lardbutt, Normal and Pencilneck, or does it do things like Republican, Democrat, Greenparty, ..... or maybe something useful, Modder, Mall Crawler, Stock as a Rock................... If you are in a category it doesn't like, does it say "Fail to Deploy", or "Deploy for No Reason", or "Deploy Extra Hard"?

Bored on a Saturday night in a hotel somewhere far from home.

No political or other position is intended by the above comments.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
lol!

I don't guess you really wanted an answer, but the Occupant Classification ECU I think just classifies people as to light, heavy and not there, and the seat position as near and far. So your four categories are Danny DeVito, LeBron James, Olympic gymnast and supermodel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if you could swap in 09 Tacoma buckets (with a/b) in place of the 09 bench with a/b?

Would the connections for the sensors be similar? Would this require further mods beyond the sensors?

I'd like to purchase a 09 std cab SR-5 but the bench seat would only be tolerable for a short period of time until I could install buckets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The occupant classification sensors in your stock seats are NOT simple on/off switches, they are pressure sensitive to determine whether to deploy the air bags. The cushions in your stock seat were engineered to properly convey the weight in the seat to the sensors. There is no good way to adapt them to your new seats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts