Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube reviewers are saying the new Rav4 does NOT have Android Auto..... just Apple Carplay. Is that true?

If so.... scratch this one off my list of vehicles to consider. Hard to believe that they would have not included that. I am hoping this is incorrect information, because I am in the market for a small - mid size SUV this fall.

I have already checked out the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe, which is REALLY nice and seems to check all the boxes....

I had a 2014 Highlander Limited, which I loved in many ways, but it had it's fair share of problems.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ToyoJim - that is enough to kill a purchase for me.... what an oversight for a new redesign. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Perhaps in the future they will offer a software update for AA like they did for CarPlay to the 2018 Camrys. In the meantime, I switched to an iphone. AA new user home screen looks amazing.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,873 Posts
2020 Rav4 is getting android auto. Still not confirmed if 2019 rav4 will get an update to have it as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have read that AA requires a 2.1A USB connection to the head unit, which apparently the 2019 RAV4 lacks. This means that AA will require a hardware change as well as a software upgrade. I'll be shocked if Toyota provides a retrofit ability, even for a price.

CarPlay doesn't require a 2.1A connection, which is how Toyota was able to do a retrofit for the 2018/2019 Camrys.

I will be disappointed if I'm right about Toyota not offering this upgrade, even if the customer wants to pay. My wife's 2016 Mazda CX-5 can be upgraded to AA for $400.

Come on, Toyota, if Mazda can do this, surely you can, too!

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,873 Posts
I have read that AA requires a 2.1A USB connection to the head unit, which apparently the 2019 RAV4 lacks. This means that AA will require a hardware change as well as a software upgrade. I'll be shocked if Toyota provides a retrofit ability, even for a price.

CarPlay doesn't require a 2.1A connection, which is how Toyota was able to do a retrofit for the 2018/2019 Camrys.

I will be disappointed if I'm right about Toyota not offering this upgrade, even if the customer wants to pay. My wife's 2016 Mazda CX-5 can be upgraded to AA for $400.

Where does it say that it requires 2.1a usb? It's recommended to have 2.1a but not required. There are 2016 aftermarket head units that have android auto and has a 1.5a usb. So, no it doesn't require 2.1a. The reason why mazda changed their usb port is because it only provided .5amps. So no hardware change, just software.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I'm looking at two 2.1a usb input's in my 19 Rav4 hybrid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where does it say that it requires 2.1a usb? It's recommended to have 2.1a but not required. There are 2016 aftermarket head units that have android auto and has a 1.5a usb. So, no it doesn't require 2.1a. The reason why mazda changed their usb port is because it only provided .5amps. So no hardware change, just software.
I can't find the reference now that said 2.1A is required. I hope you're correct, then, because that was in my mind the biggest reason Toyota would not do a retrofit/upgrade. Thanks for explaining the Mazda had a .5A USB port. I guess now we must wait and see if Toyota does anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what I received from Toyota Canada after demanding for the second time:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We do apologize, however, as we previously advised we have no plans to make Toyota Connected Services and Android Auto available to in-market vehicles and they are not available for your vehicle. We have forwarded your suggestion to our Product Planning Department for future consideration.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Kim Carter
Customer Assistance Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Simple fix at head unit for $10.00. Purchase a 4.8 Amp dual USB Lighter plug as I did. I am charging an Android and Apple Phone at the same time and also an iPod for my music is plugged into the USB Data port at same location. I also purchased USB 8 Inch cables with their perspective connectors from Amazon.com for all three units. I synced the Android Phone via bluetooth to my Entune System since I use that one when I drive and my spouse has the Apple phone to sync via Bluetooth to use apple carplay when she is driving. I have about 600 recordings to listen to over my iPod and will not be needing SIRUS when the free 6 month period is over. The lighter plug with the dual USB Port and the real short cables are a blessing since there is very little clutter on the small shelf with all three devices there. The USB ports in the center console was a dumb design, but a little intuitive thinking as I did solves the problem. The USB Charging ports in the rear is a good feature though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 2020 RAV4 has android autoplay on all trim levels. I believe they brought back the hood insulator on all the gasoline models and might even have some dynamat sound protection or similar material as well. I do not have the transmission issues in my 2019 RAV4 FWD Limited that a few on RAV4world are talking about. It runs great with 5,000 miles so far and the mpg exceeds the manufacturer and consumer reports postings even in the colder temperatures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts