Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube reviewers are saying the new Rav4 does NOT have Android Auto..... just Apple Carplay. Is that true?

If so.... scratch this one off my list of vehicles to consider. Hard to believe that they would have not included that. I am hoping this is incorrect information, because I am in the market for a small - mid size SUV this fall.

I have already checked out the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe, which is REALLY nice and seems to check all the boxes....

I had a 2014 Highlander Limited, which I loved in many ways, but it had it's fair share of problems.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ToyoJim - that is enough to kill a purchase for me.... what an oversight for a new redesign. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Perhaps in the future they will offer a software update for AA like they did for CarPlay to the 2018 Camrys. In the meantime, I switched to an iphone. AA new user home screen looks amazing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have read that AA requires a 2.1A USB connection to the head unit, which apparently the 2019 RAV4 lacks. This means that AA will require a hardware change as well as a software upgrade. I'll be shocked if Toyota provides a retrofit ability, even for a price.

CarPlay doesn't require a 2.1A connection, which is how Toyota was able to do a retrofit for the 2018/2019 Camrys.

I will be disappointed if I'm right about Toyota not offering this upgrade, even if the customer wants to pay. My wife's 2016 Mazda CX-5 can be upgraded to AA for $400.

Come on, Toyota, if Mazda can do this, surely you can, too!

·
1,641 Posts
I have read that AA requires a 2.1A USB connection to the head unit, which apparently the 2019 RAV4 lacks. This means that AA will require a hardware change as well as a software upgrade. I'll be shocked if Toyota provides a retrofit ability, even for a price.

CarPlay doesn't require a 2.1A connection, which is how Toyota was able to do a retrofit for the 2018/2019 Camrys.

I will be disappointed if I'm right about Toyota not offering this upgrade, even if the customer wants to pay. My wife's 2016 Mazda CX-5 can be upgraded to AA for $400.

Where does it say that it requires 2.1a usb? It's recommended to have 2.1a but not required. There are 2016 aftermarket head units that have android auto and has a 1.5a usb. So, no it doesn't require 2.1a. The reason why mazda changed their usb port is because it only provided .5amps. So no hardware change, just software.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I'm looking at two 2.1a usb input's in my 19 Rav4 hybrid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where does it say that it requires 2.1a usb? It's recommended to have 2.1a but not required. There are 2016 aftermarket head units that have android auto and has a 1.5a usb. So, no it doesn't require 2.1a. The reason why mazda changed their usb port is because it only provided .5amps. So no hardware change, just software.
I can't find the reference now that said 2.1A is required. I hope you're correct, then, because that was in my mind the biggest reason Toyota would not do a retrofit/upgrade. Thanks for explaining the Mazda had a .5A USB port. I guess now we must wait and see if Toyota does anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what I received from Toyota Canada after demanding for the second time:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We do apologize, however, as we previously advised we have no plans to make Toyota Connected Services and Android Auto available to in-market vehicles and they are not available for your vehicle. We have forwarded your suggestion to our Product Planning Department for future consideration.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Kim Carter
Customer Assistance Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts