Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 camry and brake lights don't come on and can't shift out of park unless using the override button. I hear a click and can feel the click in the steering column when I depress the shifter button. I searched the forum and the general consensus regarding this problem is the brake light switch above the pedal. My question is can this be adjusted? I looked at it and it seems as if the pedal never really depresses/releases the switch. Also, can I find the replacement procedure in the Haynes book? If so, i'm heading to the store. Thanks in advance.

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
The spring in the switch might just be gummed up.
Try an electrically safe lubricant and squirt some on the switch.
Work it manually. I'm sure you can adjust the travel easily too.

If you have to replace it, I'm sure it is not that complicated.

I suspected my switch was failing this past Spring - seemed to fix itself, but I'd better do the exact same thing as you are before the cold weather hits. Thanks for the reminder ! :)

Good luck,

[EDIT}

Look for DowCorning MolyKote (or something similar at your autoparts store)
http://www.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/090007b58001c899.pdf

[EDIT]

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have no brake light but mine would shift out of park. :D Because it is an 5-spd. But how do you fix the brake light?

All the wiring are correctly connected none of the fuse is blown just changed the bulb, and all connectors have power.
What could be the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Update. I replaced the stop light switch and presto! Shifts out of park now and brake lights work. Checked continuity on old switch-no good. Only problem now is trying to adjust it. I can say that this little project, as easy as it seems, is quite a pain. Very difficult to re-attach wiring harness to switch after install due to a metel shield blocking things. Anywho, thanks everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts