Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Solara002
2002 Solara SLE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys hope you can help me out with my 02 solara V6.

my brake caliper needed rebuilding and i made the mistake of not only letting the system drain dry but i pumped the pedal a bunch to get it all out before i let the car sit for the winter.

i bled the MC and all 4 calipers numerous times! my pedal is stiff as a board...but once i start the car the pedal drops to the floor with little to no resistance. i am getting about 20% braking power!

The MC holds pressure well (i can barely push the pedal in) with the car off. and the booster seems to have no problem droping the pedal, with the car running. keep in mind everything in my braking system worked perfect before i f&*^ed it up:headbang:

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
738 Posts
I would remove the tubes from the calipers/wheel cylinders one at a time and see if you get the same fluid flow from them.

Good luck,
Sam

·
Solara002
2002 Solara SLE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks somick, all the lines flow same when bleeding. did you mean just crack the bleeder and watch the flow without pumping the pedal? Everything used to work great until i parked for winter! tryin to maintain the car...theres no way im the only person to screw up and pump air into ABS module or something. and i doubt theres anything actually wrong with the car.

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,636 Posts
You probably have air in the lines, simple as that. If you did a manual brake bleed after it was drained dry, there is probably no chance you got all the air out.

You can try the getto method and attach plastic tubes to each of the brake bleeder screws and put the plastic tubes into a quart jar. I'd suggest clear plastic tubing so you can see what's going on. Open all the bleeder screws and let the brake fluid drain out by gravity. It takes a while, so be patient. Be sure to monitor the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder and don't let it get too low.

Get a quart, not a pint, of brake fluid and use it all.

If you run a quart of brake fluid through the master cylinder and let it all drain through the brake lines you can be pretty sure that you have got all the air out.

If you want to get fancy, make yourself one of these:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/359624-powerbleeder-bleed-your-brakes-easy-way-many-pics.html

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,660 Posts
^This.

Sometimes it's tough to get all the air out because bubbles want to float upwards, and flushing is trying to force them down. I sometimes resort to a "backward" flush... Push fluid/air back into the master cylinder by pushing the caliper pistons back in. The downside of this method is that it sometimes pushes crud in the lines up into the master cylinder and causes fluid to "blow by" the sealing cups.

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
738 Posts
There is a video on YouTube by realfixesrealfast who bleeds a stubborn brakes on an old Mustang. They actually had to remove the caliper from the car and positioned the caliper in a certain way in order to get rid of an air bubble.

Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
You probably have air in the lines, simple as that. If you did a manual brake bleed after it was drained dry, there is probably no chance you got all the air out.

You can try the getto method and attach plastic tubes to each of the brake bleeder screws and put the plastic tubes into a quart jar. I'd suggest clear plastic tubing so you can see what's going on. Open all the bleeder screws and let the brake fluid drain out by gravity. It takes a while, so be patient. Be sure to monitor the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder and don't let it get too low.

Get a quart, not a pint, of brake fluid and use it all.

If you run a quart of brake fluid through the master cylinder and let it all drain through the brake lines you can be pretty sure that you have got all the air out.

If you want to get fancy, make yourself one of these:

PowerBleeder - Bleed your brakes the easy way. Many pics.

Good luck.

I have a 2000 toyota salara 6 cyl...I replaced rear brake lines...master cyl...r/f caliper and hose...the r/f wheel keeps locking up...I bleed all wheels and m/c...any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts