Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First time posting in the Corolla forum on here.

So I drive about miles a week. I’m about to hit 80,000, currently at 79,000~. I tried getting it changed at the 75,000 interval at my local Toyota dealership however they said since it’s a CVT it’s lifetime fluid which Toyota doesn’t like them to mess with & even if they were to do it, it takes about 7 quartz which would be about $700 due to the fluid it uses. I asked if this was a simple drain and fill or a flush & the advisor said it was drain & fill which seems insanely high. I had even called before hand to see if they’re willing to do it and they said yes but then when I arrived they said they never realized I had a CVT.

I’m not sure if I should do it myself. I’ve done oil changes, tire rotation & air filters but never anything like this. What if I overfill or under fill? Plus I read something about if the temperature isn’t right it can damage the CVT!

At this point, is it worth it to do it? I plan to keep my Corolla for a very long time. I have another Toyota dealership about an hour away that I’ll call tomorrow & see if they can do it but it’s unlikely.

Also, what fluid exactly do the LE models take? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Paint Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Rectangle

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Helmet

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
it’s a CVT it’s lifetime fluid which Toyota doesn’t like them to mess with & even if they were to do it, it takes about 7 quartz which would be about $700 due to the fluid it uses [...] they said yes but then when I arrived they said they never realized I had a CVT.
Change dealer... That's a too high price and they should know their models (which has 4AT and which has CVT). Furthermore, Toyota's maintenance schedule is the same, whether AT or CVT, and "lifetime fluid" is an amateur mistake that come from the fact that said maintenance schedule doesn't have precise intervals (again, whether AT or CVT) but "check every 30K" and change whenever needed (or 60K for "severe" usage. Most dealers go with 90K. That being said, yes CVT are a bit whimsical but the car has all what's needed in term of level and temperature.
Fluid is “Toyota Genuine CVTF FE” (7.9 qt - 7.5 L - 6,6 Imp. qt. for total fill). See procedure :

Attachments

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,343 Posts
Definitely need to see a different dealership.

They quote high because they don’t want it. It may be lifetime, but a new trans isn’t cheap. Or a new used one. Anything that says lifetime is crap. They just want you to come back when it blows up. So they can make the money on a replacement transmission.

Edit : to do it yourself, you’ll need a fancy scan tool that can read the temperature of the transmission. There’s that cost. You should consider it.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
you’ll need a fancy scan tool that can read the temperature of the transmission. There’s that cost. You should consider it.
Techstream is great but not essential for the procedure, since the car also has a "fluid temperature detection mode" triggered by jumping some pins.

Anything that says lifetime is crap
So true. Which is why this affirmation is nowhere to be found in any Toyota documentation. Just on forums and, apparently, from some questionable dealers. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,343 Posts
Techstream is great but not essential for the procedure, since the car also has a "fluid temperature detection mode" triggered by jumping some pins.

So true. Which is why this affirmation is nowhere to be found in any Toyota documentation. Just on forums and, apparently, from some questionable dealers. :rolleyes:
That’s the upsell. Its in really small fine print that it’s not lifetime due to wear and tear of abuse, racing, etc. I’ve worked with some bad dealerships in which I bought my vehicle from and they don’t care to remember me as a customer. Non-selling dealerships who don’t even know me, will remember me more. As their model is customers first.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can do a drain and fill if you want or do this. Up to you
This takes 5 quarts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cb
At 90k did you do a drain and refill or a flush.
My Toyota dealer said 287 for a flush and 185 for a drain and refill for cvt trans fluid

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,985 Posts
Cb
At 90k did you do a drain and refill or a flush.
My Toyota dealer said 287 for a flush and 185 for a drain and refill for cvt trans fluid
I just asked them for a "fluid replacement" when I took it in for the programming recall.
I'm assuming they just did a drain and refill.

·
イリジウム
14,376 Posts
Have them do this one, and read up on the procedure. See if you want to tackle another drain and refill yourself in another 20-30K miles.

Just an update: called the dealership about an hour away, they’re doing it for $250. The service advisor said it’ll be $250 plus tax OTD if it doesn’t need anything more than 4 quartz. Still better than paying $7000 for a new CVT. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cb.
Just asking if you don’t mind. I have a 2018 corolla 21,000 miles on it. 3 years old. Is there a recommended mileage to change the cvt trans fluid. If not when would you do it. Also what is better a full flush or just a drain and refill. Any input is great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,985 Posts
Cb.
Just asking if you don’t mind. I have a 2018 corolla 21,000 miles on it. 3 years old. Is there a recommended mileage to change the cvt trans fluid. If not when would you do it. Also what is better a full flush or just a drain and refill. Any input is great. Thanks
No factory recommended interval documented.
Input from members here with high mileage seems to range from 30k to 90k.
Personally, I'd be happy with a drain and refill every 60-90k, but I do primarily freeway driving, get to full operating temp, don't tow or drive in sub-freezing weather... basically ideal conditions. For comparison, my Avalon has an EPA rating of 43mpg, I get 48.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
CB
My 2018 only does stop and go driving. No highway driving. CB. So you say I should do only drain and refills and no flushed. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
CB.
I guess my corolla really doesn’t need a flush. I will take your advice and do regular drain and refills. How much fluid does a drain and refill replace as opposed to a flush. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,985 Posts
I have no idea what it would cost in your area. I only had it done once on my Corolla and it was $400.
Under your driving conditions, I'd probably just do a drain and refill every 50 or 60k.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cb
Sorry what I was asking is how much trans fluid do they replace on a drain and refill. If you knew. I thought it was 4 quarts. Not sure.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 59 Posts