Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the local hardware stores just cleared their shelves of any denatured alcohol, scared of a potential $50k/day fine from the Air Resource Board. Its not illegal to have/use it, just to sell it.

They're also looking at banning winter washer fluids with methanol > 1%.
1% methanol washer fluid freezes at, you guessed it, 0C/32F.

Reportedly rubbing alcohol will also be banned.

Supposedly there are still a few places to buy denatured alcohol in my area, I'll report back by 1/23 if I manage to score without getting shived in a back alley...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Guess you'll have to make your own now? Good news is you won't have to denature it so it can serve two purposes.

Kidding of course :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
550 Posts
As I recall it from my civics class in school, California is the most democratic state in the union. The way its laws work, if the majority vote for something it becomes law, without a filter to deal with things like, "how is this going to be implemented?", "what are the long term implications of this?". Similar to Brexit: mob rule. Leads to that state being the most chaotic.

The federal government was set up as a representative type, where experienced, seasoned politicians interpret the people's voice and implement it after consideration and debate. Unfortunately, the "drain the swamp" and term limits have hamstrung that so today we have amateur politicians and professional lobbyists, so it isn't working so well lately either (it had worked pretty good for about 200 years though).

Mobs are the definition of: in any group of people, about half will be below average.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,494 Posts
Yeah! Thank heavens we have the C.A.R.B. and Saint Greta the SpEd to save us from ourselves.
No, it's an attempt to save us from yourselves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cars and guns are my interest, you enjoy either of those then NEVER move here. Every year there’s a new gun law you have to be on top of. 12/31 to 1/1 you could easily become a felon overnight and not even know it in California.

Most hurtful thing is to come across something cool or a product you need online and then you see if you live if California sorry buddy we can’t ship to you Hahahaha

·
Just some guy
2001 4Runner SR5; 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE
27 Posts
The planet's burning, or haven' t you heard. Got kids, grandkids? What type of world do you want to leave for them?
I won't get into the Global Warming argument, but I do believe that the single greatest contributor to aggravating any bad situation is to add more people to it. More people using less than me and polluting less than me, are still using and polluting, and having those kids is an active choice to add more pollution and consume more. Two kids each using and polluting 3/4 as much as I do means 1-1/2 times the use and pollution.

Honestly, I have no idea why alcohol would be banned for sale, but not for use or possession. Can anyone give a legitimate reason for that?

Also, I believe OG was posting in regards to California's general retardation, not specifically in regard to C.A.R.B. or Global Warming.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,392 Posts
Denatured alcohol serves as a cleaning agent, fuel additive, sanding aid, exterminator, and as a solvent.
Typical applications of denatured alcohols include:
  • Window Cleaning.
  • Fueling of Small Camping Stoves.
  • Removal of Ink Stains.
  • Pharmaceutical Uses.
  • Pest Extermination.
  • Woodworking.
  • Paint Removal.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,494 Posts
I won't get into the Global Warming argument, but I do believe that the single greatest contributor to aggravating any bad situation is to add more people to it. More people using less than me and polluting less than me, are still using and polluting, and having those kids is an active choice to add more pollution and consume more. Two kids each using and polluting 3/4 as much as I do means 1-1/2 times the use and pollution.
Yes, the best thing we can do to help solve global warming is to have lower populations who consume and pollute less - but how would you go about doing that and still have an ever expanding economy which everybody wants. That hard choice may come but whose going to set the rules and will people follow it or go the anti-government route (like global warming) with their guns at their side denying the facts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How are guns about denatured alcohol, C.A.R.B. and global warming?????
Sorry about that, I had just closed out my YouTube app on my phone at the time, there were a few recommended videos that popped up talking about current gun laws that went into affect this month. So it was just a random rant that carried over after seeing this thread.

I suppose in a poor way to relate would just be that this is another outright banned or another restricted item added to the long list of many other things we can’t have or use in California in comparison to the rest of the country.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts