Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Camry XSE
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized this morning loading 78 inch wide blinds that the rear seat backs do not fold down. :surprise: Bummer, makes it tough to get long items into the car. :frown:

·
Registered
2017 Camry XSE
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do have that nifty little pass-through in the center. Great for blinds, a couple of ski's and really skinny lumber ;)
Yeah, I saw that opening, or what looked an opening, when I opened the trunk. I looked in the owners manual but didn't see anything about how to lower that pass-through.

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,094 Posts
Another Avalon Mystery Revealed

I looked in the owners manual but didn't see anything about how to lower that pass-through.
Lower the back seat center armrest/cup holder. You'll see the (lockable) pass-through door. It opens from inside the car.

·
Registered
2017 Camry XSE
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gadget. Found it, but won't be able to put much through that opening, but it us an opening. Prefer fold down rear seats like the Camry XSE.

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
530 Posts
Probably like that as the manufacturer views it as a flagship touring sedan that will not really be overworked in that capacity. A loaded V6 high end camry will, in some areas, better a base avalon.

·
Registered
2017 Camry XSE
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably like that as the manufacturer views it as a flagship touring sedan that will not really be overworked in that capacity. A loaded V6 high end camry will, in some areas, better a base avalon.
Good call z27ls3. I'll bet you are 100% on the money.

·
PJSMITH
1,658 Posts
The #1 and only hated spot on the Hybrid id the "passthru"/

You can pass a 1 by 4 through it. Ridiculous to shape the battery to fill the rear seat. Could have left a 6x6 opening to pass a pair of skiis.

I hate that I need to have a friend carry anything home from the lumber yard.

:wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Old subject here for sure but if they designed our cars so we could carry all our 2x4's or even 1x2 trim pieces home they couldn't sell as many overpriced SUV's or Trucks could they?
Just say'n..lol

Kid'n aside, who knows why that opening is so small but without a doubt it sure is a worthless little hole they put there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just leave the family at home when you go sking I guess? Seems only one person can use it for "one" set of ski's so hows this work being its a large family car & not really designed as a single persons car?
For all the owners who don't ski and defanatly all the family members left at home with their ski's still in hand its just a worthless little hole no doubt about that...lmao.
Really with no reclining rear seats (sadly discontinued) there's no reason not to have designed the Avalon seats to fold down just like their lower models have for decades. Sorry' no matter what they named this worthless little hole we've never been able to use it for anything unlike all our past Camry's with a fold down seat that we used quite often. It really sucks to not have the extra room and another reason why more people quit buying cars today I guess?

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
862 Posts
Not sure I'd be a fan of fold down back seats (at first I said damn that's useless) but when I envision the back of me expensive climate controlled leather seats not sure the idea of having to slam the brakes. Rabbits, squirrels and other small game I don't even bother trying to avoid but seems that deer and idiots are too common on the roads around here. Getting someone to help or pay for delivery seems less risky in the TAL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ya I can relate to creatures running out in front of cars living in the country though Ive not hit any myself to date so I guess I did learn to drive better over the yrs. As far as the backs of these seats go they're leather is tougher than you think as Ive seen what my nieces kids put her Toyota seats through and its withstood all 5 kids remarkably well...lol
Our old Infiniti rear seat backs fold down and after 20yrs there's still no damage anywhere in its interior.
Personally I don't pay for delivery on anything unless I order it online & UPS/Fedex etc. brings it.
I use my Tundra to get bigger stuff, I used it today in fact for a new mattress.
What gets aggravating is buying something on a whim thats a few inches bigger than your trunk then having to drive 40 miles home & 40 miles back & 40 miles home once again to bring it home in my Tundra when it would have easily fit in my trunk if its [email protected]#n seat backs could just fold down like others today.
If I still lived in city within a mile or so from department stores it wouldn't be as costly & such a p.i.t.a. when it happens.
Really handy when they fold but yes you do need to drive like you have sense..lol

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
862 Posts
Not so sure about the Avalon front seats being very "Toyota tough" there were so many posts of the back falling apart on it's own. LOL. As for wildlife and idiots I've also been pretty lucky. But "luck" can jump out of the ditch or from the oncoming lane no matter how cautious a driver you are.... Sh*t happens.

I never understood why swamp donkeys (Moose) love to just stop and take a break crossing and stand there right in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not so sure about the Avalon front seats being very "Toyota tough" there were so many posts of the back falling apart on it's own. LOL. As for wildlife and idiots I've also been pretty lucky. But "luck" can jump out of the ditch or from the oncoming lane no matter how cautious a driver you are.... Sh*t happens.

I never understood why swamp donkeys (Moose) love to just stop and take a break crossing and stand there right in the middle of the road.

Now thankfully we don't have any ol' Swamp Donkeys here lol, but' we do have farmers escaped Cows and Horses that size from time to time..lol.
Its the more common Coyotes and Deer we all watch for so it seems were way more lucky here as they're fast and just keep right on run'n because they actually prefer to avoid humans and our cars.
I learned yrs ago to slow down driving near corn fields and wooded areas because they will dart out on you and just big enough to total some cars easy enough. I don't just slow way down I even move to the opposite side when traffic allows it & so far its worked okay. Yep' I'm knocking on wood as I say it!..lol

About those rear panels falling off..
My cousin had a p.o.s. Lincoln Sport Coupe many moons ago and his door panels fell off if he ran over a Pecker Gnat. He bought new clips and everything it didn't matter they still fell right off again. One day I broke out the silicone and speared it on the back of his panels, slapped the suckers back on and they never came off again. It holds GM cars together really good too, I used it on their emblems, moldings, grilles, armrests, headliners, handles, well' you get it, every part GM ever made because they all fall right off...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts