Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car has been sitting for a few weeks while I gathered parts. I finally got her back on the road. my commute to work is only a few minutes. Yesterday I just started the car and drove to work, not expecting the heat to be very effective on such a short route. Today was considerably colder so I decided to "warm'er up". The car ran for about 15-20 minutes before I got in. I got in, turned the heat dial all the way up, put the selector on "Defrost/Feet" ... Luke warm air blasted into the cabin...WTF. After playing with ALL the dials for a few minutes, I decided to just get to work and ask the "ToyotaNation". about a half mile in, HOT air started coming out, but it went back to warm very soon. Then it got hot again. almost matching my acceleration. I'm thinking a vacuum line but have NO IDEA where to look/start. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
256 Posts
While you were doing the body work on the car - did you ever have to open up the cooling system? If so, were you able to bleed the system fully?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yeah, this will happen if you got air in the system. Keep topping off the reservoir. Also it may take 2 or more heat up cycles to get all the air out of the system.

You can start and run the car up to operating temp and then shut off a while after to let the system absorb the coolant in the res. 2-5 times usually does the trick. Also driving the car helps agitate the air out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Corolla Altis XRS
146 Posts
You may have air in your cooling system...if you had worked on it. But when was the last time you changed out your thermostat?.....almost sounds like a sticking thermostat.

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never even popped the radiator cap. I took it for a longer drive today and while in park with the car running, I noticed the cooling fan seemed to be kicking on and off frequently. Like a minute on and a minute off - repeating

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may have air in your cooling system...if you had worked on it. But when was the last time you changed out your thermostat?.....almost sounds like a sticking thermostat.
Not sure if it has ever been changed tbh. I know I've never done it. I have owned the car since new and had it at the dealer once for a good "once over" but that was so long ago, I dont remember what all was done.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I never even popped the radiator cap. I took it for a longer drive today and while in park with the car running, I noticed the cooling fan seemed to be kicking on and off frequently. Like a minute on and a minute off - repeating
You probably already verified this - but the fans running on/off wasn’t with the AC on/defrost?
Is there any difference between how much heat you’re getting from the vents while idling vs driving/revving up?

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
11,617 Posts
I suspect trapped air. Burping the system using the big hose at the radiator.

If you notice the temp gauge rise slower than usual, that can be an ECT sensor or stat. Start monitoring the level in the overflow. If you have to top off, there's air in the system.

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You probably already verified this - but the fans running on/off wasn’t with the AC on/defrost?
Is there any difference between how much heat you’re getting from the vents while idling vs driving/revving up?
1st part: AC/defrost may have been already on. I was expecting a nice warm cabin.
2nd part: no. Intermittent hot air but air flow is steady

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect trapped air. Burping the system using the big hose at the radiator.

If you notice the temp gauge rise slower than usual, that can be an ECT sensor or stat. Start monitoring the level in the overflow. If you have to top off, there's air in the system.
Temp guage is dead in the middle as usual. I didn't notice how fast/slow it got there.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Check the fluid level of your overflow tank, keep it topped up. Sounds like low on coolant. Keep an eye on your temp gauge. If it's normal, top up your coolant. Worst case is you have air in your coolant system. Try carefully removing the rad cap with the engine running for a while, to let any air out. Good luck....

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@jsean I had the "dial" turned to defrost. I tried it with and without the "A/C" button pushed.

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tomorrow I will check fluid level and Mark it. There is a chance I lost some coolant in the crash but i didnt see any on the ground at the crash site. SNAFU

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
11,617 Posts
The radiator was damaged in the crash and replaced? Drain the system when you can and flush with distilled water. Run the engine with heat on to cycle the distilled water through the cooling system. I did it 2x. After that, refill the system with new coolant. The radiator allowed air to enter the system.

·
Registered
256 Posts
@jsean I had the "dial" turned to defrost. I tried it with and without the "A/C" button pushed.
Keeping the dial on defrost will override the AC on/off switch and cause the cooling fan to cycle. It might be worthwhile to set the dial to the dash vents or floor without AC on and verify the cooling fans operate normally.
Tomorrow I will check fluid level and Mark it. There is a chance I lost some coolant in the crash but i didnt see any on the ground at the crash site. SNAFU
That might possibly be the reason why there’s some air in the system? After you mark the level, you can also Jack the front end up and with a cool engine, take the radiator cap off and bleed the cooling system. If it “burps” once it’s warmed up, there’s air...

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The radiator was damaged in the crash and replaced? Drain the system when you can and flush with distilled water. Run the engine with heat on to cycle the distilled water through the cooling system. I did it 2x. After that, refill the system with new coolant. The radiator allowed air to enter the system.
Radiator was pushed back. I assumed is was good since it never leaked fluid. E-fan was damaged and replaced. Washer fluidcanister cracked. Still cracked. Empty.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure if it has ever been changed tbh. I know I've never done it. I have owned the car since new and had it at the dealer once for a good "once over" but that was so long ago, I dont remember what all was done.
How long are you expecting to keep your Corolla? I've had my current Corolla ('96) 24+ years since 'new-1st owner' (it was a high-mileage dealer loaner and a good deal was had) another six years and its eligible for state historical plates lol, but its really been struggling the past few years with the winter salt-monster battle scars over the decades... not sure its gonna make it to 30 years! but the heater works well and its so hot it burns my hands.

the first Corolla I had, on the other hand, was the total opposite.
here's a web pic of what it resembled, same color too

a '79 liftback (or hatchback) I bot for about $500 in 1992 for a part-time pizza delivery job i had. I figured it would be 'worry free' to keep the engine running in the street/parking lot while delivering and nobody would be driving off with it lol. I ditched it in 2oo4 after the power brakes failed, it was 25 years old and I was tired of the nickel and dime repairs needed, which were mostly due to rust from the salt belt
it was rear wheel drive, no power steering, no A/C, no nothing... which also meant NO working Heat OR Defrost (...never figured out why that did not work) I had to drive with the window down partway in sub-freezing temps to keep the frost buildup inside the windshield to a minimum, but still I had to use my drivers license to occasionally scrape interior frost off while rowing the gears (sometimes it was just a peephole!) The floorpan was also rotted out a bit that allowed snow to come inside around my shoes by the pedals,
if it was too cold out though (it can get to below zero Fahrenheit here in the midwest) I would have to use my 'nicer' car at the time, the '78 Celica that actually had working heat and defrost to deliver the pizzas in the middle of the winter

I long for the days of another small rearwheel drive 5-speed stick car, be it a Corolla or some other model

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@97tacomaHA, I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible. Luckily, I live in Florida, not the rust belt, and not so close to the beach that "salt' is an issue. Bought my car brand new in "07 and no rust to speak of, anywhere. This has been "mostly" trouble free. I replaced the starter earlier this year, and now this. But if I have to throw a few dollars at her to keep her working, I will.

·
Registered
268 Posts
@97tacomaHA, I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible. Luckily, I live in Florida, not the rust belt, and not so close to the beach that "salt' is an issue. Bought my car brand new in "07 and no rust to speak of, anywhere. This has been "mostly" trouble free. I replaced the starter earlier this year, and now this. But if I have to throw a few dollars at her to keep her working, I will.
a few dollars doesn't sound bad! My tacoma that i bot new in '97 with 20 miles on it is needing some big dollar non-routine maintenance this year, namely a $1000+ clutch job as it gets closer to 200k miles, it still has the original starter, fuel pump, radiator, steering rack, front suspension & steering parts... these will probably all be needing new parts sooner or later while trying to keep the rust off of it, the Tacoma's i have learned are not very good at dealing with rust, they just split and break to pieces

Reactions: PoBoi850
1 - 20 of 40 Posts