Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a 2009 Highlander Ltd on the lot when the dealership was closed. I noticed that there were no key type locks on any of the doors, including the rear lift door. I understand the vehicle has 'keyless' entry but I was also wondering how one would get in if the battery was completely dead and the doors were locked? I assume the locks are all battery dependent and the hood latch is inside! :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have this system in my highlander. If the battery is dead the driver door has a lock which u can open with the flat key that come inside the remote..

hope this helps
good luck

·
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have this system in my highlander. If the battery is dead the driver door has a lock which u can open with the flat key that come inside the remote..

hope this helps
good luck
There was a soft black rubber rectangular push button on the door handle that beeps when pressed, but I did not see any place to insert a key. Maybe it is hidden from view. I guess I'll have to drop in some day and speak with a salesman. I'm looking at getting an '09 Ltd in the next couple of months.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
29 Posts
peter9

The Highlander Limited has keyless entry as you have observed. With key fob "on person", you simply pull on the handle to open the door. It automatically unlocks as you approach the vehicle. To lock when leaving, close the door and simply press that small rectangular square you indicate you saw in the handle.

On the drivers door, and to the rear of that rectangular button on the non moving part of the door handle, there is in fact a key slot which can be used in the event of dead battery in the key fob. The key is slotted into the end of the key fob and also serves as the key ring attachment.

Hope this helps.
So far so good wit our 1st Toyota...15k kms on our 09 Limited, Cypress Pearl.
Richard...Innerkip and Perth ON

·
Registered
569 Posts
peter9

The Highlander Limited has keyless entry as you have observed. With key fob "on person", you simply pull on the handle to open the door. It automatically unlocks as you approach the vehicle. To lock when leaving, close the door and simply press that small rectangular square you indicate you saw in the handle.

On the drivers door, and to the rear of that rectangular button on the non moving part of the door handle, there is in fact a key slot which can be used in the event of dead battery in the key fob. The key is slotted into the end of the key fob and also serves as the key ring attachment.

Hope this helps.
So far so good wit our 1st Toyota...15k kms on our 09 Limited, Cypress Pearl.
Richard...Innerkip and Perth ON
This is a very interesting question as I think the OP is questioning what if the Highlander's battery fails, not the key fob. As mentioned, if you can't get into the Highlander, you can't pop the hood to jump/replace the battery. Interesting, but doesn't affect me since I don't have keyless entry.

DeWat

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is a very interesting question as I think the OP is questioning what if the Highlander's battery fails, not the key fob. As mentioned, if you can't get into the Highlander, you can't pop the hood to jump/replace the battery. Interesting, but doesn't affect me since I don't have keyless entry.

DeWat
How is this different from any car? If any car's SLA battery fails you cannot operate the keyless entry or any car's power lock system, you have to use the mechanical key to open the car door, then open the hood and replace or jump the battery.

The scarier question is if the remote's battery fails will you remember the procedure for starting the vehicle? That page in the manual should be printed on a bigger sheet than all the other pages ;)

·
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Key Door Locks

How is this different from any car? If any car's SLA battery fails you cannot operate the keyless entry or any car's power lock system, you have to use the mechanical key to open the car door, then open the hood and replace or jump the battery.

The scarier question is if the remote's battery fails will you remember the procedure for starting the vehicle? That page in the manual should be printed on a bigger sheet than all the other pages ;)
In my original post I mentioned that there were no key locks that I could see into which a key can be placed. That is why I questioned how one would open the door to get at the hood latch. I guess that is why they call it "keyless entry". Perhaps there is a backup battery just for the driver side door lock. I guess I'll be calling the dealer for an answer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The driver's door does have a traditional key lock to open it using the little key hidden in the fob. It is the only door that has a traditional lock.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You just have to pull the cover off the drivers door to the right of the handle as mention above - the part of the handle that doesn't move is just a cover, you pop it off the the lock is under it to open the door. At the Lexus dealer, they pull them all off the loaner cars and just leave them like that all the time so people don't have to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Whew.................:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts