Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today where walking around in my local Costco, I saw a package of 2 5-gallon jugs of 5w-30 full synthetic for only $25. Man, I cannot believe this is true. At this price, I would stop buying and filling out rebate forms and nonsense like that. Just grab them whenever I need them. Saves a lot of space too. This is cool. Just need them to come up with high mileage variety and it is all set.

I cannot understand why engine oil is getting cheaper and cheaper everyday. Walmart, Amazon and now Costco all started to sell their store brand oil now. Is there a glut in oil supply?

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
928 Posts
Costco and Sam's Club like to run those specials every so often: a true Unicorn sighting. ... Go grab some before it disappears.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Profits margins on quarts are giantic, especially from big oil company marketing.
Costco simply lowered profit margin per quart but moves 10qts per sale.

A full synthetic group 3 dexos 5w30 motor oil <$2 qt to blend.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
What percentage of the market is EV?
Maybe they will takeover in a 100 years. We dont have the grid for the current miniscule percentage.

$5 profit per box at a membership club isnt bad. And, with their volume purchase power, profit per 10qt box could be measureably higher.

I just think the DIY crowd shrinks every year. Society has turned into a bunch of donothingers. Lowering cost of ownership with extended intervals cant be helping the DIY oil demand.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
894 Posts
I suspect it has much do with the extended oil change intervals. My son-in-law's Camry is 10K and my daughter's Subaru is 7.5K.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Profits margins on quarts are giantic, especially from big oil company marketing.
Costco simply lowered profit margin per quart but moves 10qts per sale.

A full synthetic group 3 dexos 5w30 motor oil <$2 qt to blend.
Costco sells there stuff at zero profit (if you include operating costs, salaries, buildings, etc). They make all the profit on the yearly membership fee (about $60 per year). If you look at Costco membership fee revenue, it is about equal to their Net Income.

Costco, like Walmart, can get preferred pricing from suppliers due to the volume of merchandise they sell.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, the Costco Kirkland synthetic brand oil is apparently the same as Walmart's SuperTech Full Synthetic, both being blended by Warren Distribution (according to both labels). Only problem is that Costco typically only stocks a limited range of viscosities which may not suit everyone.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that's true, Costco makes no money from me. We pay for the $120 executive membership. At the end of the year, we can always get back more than $120. But I do observe Costco jacking up price, sometimes quite a bit. They removed my favorite Caesar salad kit and replaced it with an organic Caesar salad. The price doubled. I want my old one back!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
If that's true, Costco makes no money from me. We pay for the $120 executive membership. At the end of the year, we can always get back more than $120. But I do observe Costco jacking up price, sometimes quite a bit. They removed my favorite Caesar salad kit and replaced it with an organic Caesar salad. The price doubled. I want my old one back!
Yes, Costco has gone to a lot of organic products, making shopping for food more expensive than before.

Even though you get more than $120 back on your $120 executive membership, you still pay more than the marginal cost they pay the supplier for each product itself. But by purchasing a higher quantity of goods than the average member (I assume), you are covering more of their fixed overhead expenses. But I don't want this to degenerate into a discussion of Cost Accounting.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
And since its "synthetic" in name only...

to restate: the United States is the only major market in the world where Group III petroleum oil can be legally labeled as “synthetics”. Everywhere else it’s still fraud. While the clever 1999 petroleum-industry redefinition allowed a flood of petroleum “synthetics” to hit the market and command much higher profits while undercutting the manufacturing costs of true synthetics, it may well be contributing to European-vehicle engine problems. Some vehicle owners, even those aware of the need for high-performance oils, may be using these API Group III “synthetic” oils while assuming their engine will be protected. In reality, those oils are only marginally better than their cheaper siblings, and almost none of them meet the ACEA (European) specifications.

( taken from AMSOIL Ultimate Performance Synthetic Engine Oil & Filters, USA/Canada, and also TRUE)

The amount of real synthetic oil US mfg put in their "synthetic" labeled oils in the US is governed only by their conscience and desired profit margin, two things I would put NO trust in. Costco gets the best Mfg price by getting the lowest true synthetic content; there is no other explanation, sadly.

A search of Amazon.de (Germany) shows Mobil 1 0WE40 true synthetic to cost $13.12 per liter

thats $12.42 per Qt and $49.66/Gal
Reality is EXPENSIVE!

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
And since its "synthetic" in name only...

to restate: the United States is the only major market in the world where Group III petroleum oil can be legally labeled as “synthetics”. Everywhere else it’s still fraud. While the clever 1999 petroleum-industry redefinition allowed a flood of petroleum “synthetics” to hit the market and command much higher profits while undercutting the manufacturing costs of true synthetics, it may well be contributing to European-vehicle engine problems. Some vehicle owners, even those aware of the need for high-performance oils, may be using these API Group III “synthetic” oils while assuming their engine will be protected. In reality, those oils are only marginally better than their cheaper siblings, and almost none of them meet the ACEA (European) specifications.

( taken from AMSOIL Ultimate Performance Synthetic Engine Oil & Filters, USA/Canada, and also TRUE)

The amount of real synthetic oil US mfg put in their "synthetic" labeled oils in the US is governed only by their conscience and desired profit margin, two things I would put NO trust in. Costco gets the best Mfg price by getting the lowest true synthetic content; there is no other explanation, sadly.

A search of Amazon.de (Germany) shows Mobil 1 0WE40 true synthetic to cost $13.12 per liter

thats $12.42 per Qt and $49.66/Gal
Reality is EXPENSIVE!
You can buy the same Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP oil in the USA for $47.28 for 6 quarts ($7.88 per quart) at Amazon in the USA.

Petroleum products are more expensive in Europe due to higher taxes to encourage conservation. The price of regular gas in Germany right now is $5.57 per gallon (converted from price per liter).

Also, Group III synthetics can be sold as synthetic in most of the world now, including Japan and Korea. I know that Shell sells their Group III synthetic made from natural gas as a "full synthetic" in the UK at least.

The Amsoil misinformation parade never stops.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Would be great if we could have heard from greasymechtech in this discussion, he's worked in the oil-supply pipeline and is familiar with wholesale cost of available oils.

Can we assume that regular Mobil1 and Toyota synthetic motor oil are just Group III oil?
I feel sure that they are both adequate for normal use and at prescribed change intervals.

·
Registered
126 Posts

No longer need to hunt for oil deals! For awhile!
Cleaned one supermarket chain´s 3 market from their stock of redline euroseries 5W40, near hundred quarts, 7.41$ each

·
Various Toyotas
4,895 Posts

No longer need to hunt for oil deals! For awhile!
Cleaned one supermarket chain´s 3 market from their stock of redline euroseries 5W40, near hundred quarts, 7.41$ each
Ha ha, Red Line addiction? That's quite a stash you got there. Yeah, $7.41 is a good price for that. It's amazing that a supermarket had RedLine. I can't imagine that. I would probably have a stroke if a supermarket ever carried Amsoil!

I like to cook, and I'm like that with canned authentic San Marzano tomatoes D.O.P. imported from Italy. My grocery store puts them on sale periodically for a great price. I buy as many as I can, and it usually lasts me until the next sale, so I never pay full price.

At this price, I would stop buying and filling out rebate forms and nonsense like that.
The whole rebate form thing is such a pain. It often takes multiple weeks to get it. They do it because they know a bunch of people will buy the product because of the rebate, but won't actually get around to sending in the rebate. I did a rebate once where I think I never did receive it (don't even remember what it was). Another time I was stupid enough to fall for Cardone's rebate for their brake calipers. You have to mail the core back, but it was still a great deal. I never did send them back and do the rebate and I found out by personal experience that Cardone calipers are AWFUL pieces of trash! There's a rebate now for Pennzoil in which you get all your money back in a Shell spending card. I'm tempted by that to get some Ultra Platinum, but I would appreciate a company just selling their product for the true price without all the rebate nonsense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts