Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cathode Protector
07 SE V6
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents. I just purchased a relay harness from eBay and found that the headlight socket "trigger" end had NO male socket. I searched HIDplanet and here and did not find anything. I went to suvlights.com and found that they only sell h11 female sockets, but no male sockets. For those of you that are running harnesses that did NOT come with a male end, how did you connect it to the factory female headlight socket for your trigger? :confused: Thanks.

Marcos.

·
Registered
mtlc gry 07 SE
467 Posts
Does it look like this?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231220&highlight=relay+harness

And btw, did you not just sold me your H11 relay harness? Why would you buy another one? Did I get ripped off? :ugh3:

Hello gents. I just purchased a relay harness from eBay and found that the headlight socket "trigger" end had NO male socket. I searched HIDplanet and here and did not find anything. I went to suvlights.com and found that they only sell h11 female sockets, but no male sockets. For those of you that are running harnesses that did NOT come with a male end, how did you connect it to the factory female headlight socket for your trigger? :confused: Thanks.

Marcos.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
harness is so that the stock wiring dont burn up when u turn the HID's on cause it sucks up more power for a start up of the HID's then the stock bulbs do.... i think.
+1 Lot of power when HID start up but after that it's use only 35w compare to 55w for stock halogen bulbs.

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
^Don't do that....might not seem like a problem at first but could cause problems in the long run.

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Matrix S
117 Posts
^Don't do that....might not seem like a problem at first but could cause problems in the long run.
Use the harness. It is not that expensive ($10-$20). It will cost you much more than that if your stock harness gets fried i.e. burners out.

Friends cars with HID kits did this because they wanted to "save money" and "not do the extra step." It is a step that is a good one to take.

You can buy an adapter or make one.

·
Cathode Protector
07 SE V6
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
do u need a relay harness? what's it for? im clueless when it comes to hid lol
I hope you are not running HIDs then. Please search here and more importantly, hidplanet for more info.

it's probably 9006/5. youre going to have to get an adapter.
It is NOT 9005/9006, those male socket boots were not included.

Does it look like this?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231220&highlight=relay+harness

And btw, did you not just sold me your H11 relay harness? Why would you buy another one? Did I get ripped off? :ugh3:
No. It does not look like that. Also, I do not know if I should be feeling offended or not for your accusation. When I put all my gear up for sale I thought I was going back to stock halogens. Well, you bought my harness and I kept trying to sell the other gear which no one ended up buying. I am glad no one did. I ended up finding amp to d2s adaptors for my Phillips bllasts, a set of brand new 85122+ bulbs and my new harness. If you feel that way, you can ship it back and I will refund you your money via paypal. I have no problem with that. Upon installation of your harness you will find it works perfectly.

harness is so that the stock wiring dont burn up when u turn the HID's on cause it sucks up more power for a start up of the HID's then the stock bulbs do.... i think.
Yep.

+1 Lot of power when HID start up but after that it's use only 35w compare to 55w for stock halogen bulbs.
+2.

u dont need Realy Hardness just Plug in and go good luck:thumbup:;)
FALSE! Please buy this "cheap insurance" or risk having to pay to have a relatively large circuit replaced. Also, please do not go around telling people that they do not need one, for it is untrue. They DO need a harness.
Also, I realize you are running a shop. I wish all the best of luck to your entrepreneurial spirit but, I recommend stocking harnesses and installing them if you are offer hid kits in your shop. I think you should consider disclaimers of liablility for all kits installed WITHOUT a harness. Paying for a customer's new eletrical system will be pricey.

If all else fails and you can't find a male connector.......

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Headlight_Wiring_Harness_p/wirehar.htm

:D Remember. Better safe than sorry.
I might have to. I am still going to try to do it right. If all else fails, the harness goes on ebay and I will pick up the xenon depot harness. As a matter of fact I am going to email them about how they set up thier h11 harnesses.

Thank you all for your time and help. I appreciate it.

Marcos.

·
another_person
189 Posts
which ebay harness did you buy? There is one seller on ebay (hidexpert aka integra9006hid) sells h11 male connectors for like $10 or something. Or you could just take a bulb, hack off the glass, and solder some leads to the pins, and use that. Thats what I used on my 93 camry, and it worked fine.

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
^yeah, that's another option.

·
Cathode Protector
07 SE V6
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
which ebay harness did you buy? There is one seller on ebay (hidexpert aka integra9006hid) sells h11 male connectors for like $10 or something. Or you could just take a bulb, hack off the glass, and solder some leads to the pins, and use that. Thats what I used on my 93 camry, and it worked fine.

Here is the harness I bought. I might do the old headlight trick you mentioned. If you notice on the third picture, there are just pins attached to the leads. I will research more and think of something. Thanks for you help guys. Man, I sure thought the HID gurus would chime in on this one....:help:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=025&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=380001576508&rd=1

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
I'm a HID guy but I don't know if I'm worthy of being called a guru. All the information you have received is correct except the ones you have already noted as incorrect. What more do you want?

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
And have you contacted the seller to tell him that your harness was missing a connector? That should have been your first move if you haven't done it already.

·
Cathode Protector
07 SE V6
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm a HID guy but I don't know if I'm worthy of being called a guru. All the information you have received is correct except the ones you have already noted as incorrect. What more do you want?
I guess I am looking for a straight answer that is considered clean and correct. If I break a bulb and solder the lead onto the bulb base, how am I going to heatshrink/insulate the connection from shorting due to moisture? The only other idea I found out online was some guy who filed the pins down and just shoved the filed down leads into the OE female socket, then used electrical tape. That is lame man. I want a really good install. I want to do it RIGHT, not just do it. A part of learning is to exhaust ALL of your sources and pick the best route. I am looking for alternate ideas from those that have used harnesses like mine and made them work properly.

And have you contacted the seller to tell him that your harness was missing a connector? That should have been your first move if you haven't done it already.
Why would I hound him? No where on the auction does he mention that an adaptor is included. Also, the third pictures clearly illustrates that the harness has leads that are pins. The last harness I had used a 9005/6 male socket adaptor (which damn near everyone uses) but did not stay secured, so I zip tied it together. Retrospectively, I want a connection that is a lot more secure. I appreciate your help, but you no longer need to check this thread anymore, you have helped all you can. Thanks for your help.

Marcos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts