Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 yota pickup
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 toyota pickup std cab 22re 4cyl 4x4. heat only worked in 1st, 3rd, and highest (fifth) settings until about a year ago. after that, only worked in high setting only and recently stopped blowing in all settings leaving me quite cold during the winter. no idea where to start as the3 controls dont seem broken and i figure if the blower motor is shot, i wouldn't have heat at all. also, not looking forward to ripping my entire dash out without knowing if its somethin simple as i am somewhat lazy, but this is my 3rd winter and i think its about time to do something about this situation. :hammer:

·
Registered
92 pickup xtra cab
563 Posts
so the blower motor stoped working? or is it still working and theres no heat coming out?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, id go with slacker on this one. Typically they have 100% power on the full on setting then use a resistor to knock it down for the other settings.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
The circuit uses the resistor to limit current and thus blower motor speed for position 1 though 3. In high it bypasses the resistor. It sounds like the resistor failed bit by bit then something else went wrong with the circuit. It is not uncommon to see the blower resistors fail because the blower motor is drawing too much current. The blower motor may finally have failed or could now have blown the fuse or taken out some other part of the circuit.

You know,

Usually when you know there is a problem and do nothing to correct it then eventually it will get worse

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I agree with the resistor. I am on my 3rd resistor, and 2nd switch!!

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
water leak

I had a leak in the weather stripping on the passanger side, water leaked in down behind the dash, right by the glove box is where the resistor is, and it fried, I replaced it, and now have heat and ac. very easy to access.

·
Registered
1991 yota pickup
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
resistor

damn, never thought i would get this many replies. thanks to all the resistor is in the mail and i will keep everyone informed:clap: hey, at least my beer will never get warm! thanks again, James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts