Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Afternoon/Evening.

So I was checking fluids on my 2012 Camry XLE and discovered that there was no oil on dipstick. The last time oil was changed was in October at the local dealership and the car is at 5,000 mile mark since then. The oil warning light never turned on on the dashboard and the car runs fine. There are no oil stains on garage floor or driveway or even in the parking space where I park at work. I took wife's car and went to buy more oil and added 1.5 bottles and checked the oil level on the dipstick again. This time it was between the two dots/marks. I booked the next service appointment with a dealer for next weekend and will mention this issue to the advisor.

I am presuming the car is safe to drive to work and back for the week (100 miles round trip (about 80% freeway) each weekday) before the next appointment. Should I add more oil?

Please advise and confirm.
Thank you.

·
7,464 Posts
Should be safe to drive as far as you check oil every 2 weeks from now on. Remember, more than 1 qrt over 1200 miles is considered excessive consumption by Toyota.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Add oil until your hot oil level is full
Check oil level regularly and top off to full as needed

Switch to a high mileage synthetic

Unless under warranty, not much a clueless dealer advisor can do.

Make sure all recalls are complete

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's possible during the last service, they didn't install the oil filter correctly or didn't add correct amount of oil at last service. That is probably your best case scenario.

Bring it to mechanic. See if they can find any issue, such as leak at oil pan plug or oil filter.

Going forward, you should routinely monitor the dipstick and add oil to the Full line as needed.

I had a Mercedes Benz, which has different style oil filter. It has a plastic piece with o-rings that needs to be replaced; and separate oil filter element. I had my oil changed at Firestone. They probably didn't do the o-ring correctly. It's interesting that issue didn't show up immediately. I started to get oil leak couple months after oil change. After that, I try to do my oil change myself.

·
Registered
2014.5 SE I4
468 Posts
I would recommend checking the oil before you leave the dealership after every oil change. They rush through them and don’t care.

·
Various Toyotas
4,788 Posts
I started to get oil leak couple months after oil change. After that, I try to do my oil change myself.
^^One of the reasons I do my own work. If something goes wrong, I have no one but myself to blame. I'm not in a hurry with my own cars, so things get done correctly.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Camry
521 Posts
Evrodude - Do a little research on oil consumption issues with the Camry from that era. Your 2012 may (or may not) fall within the years Toyota offered an extended warranty. Do your research and mention this problem to the service adviser. If you qualify, they will start an oil consumption test to determine if your oil loss is considered excessive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts