Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil for the first time on my new (to me) 93 Pickup 22-RE. I followed the advice of the "Massive info post" and used the 90915-YZZD3 filter and MaxLife 5W-30 oil. I followed the FSM instructions for the install and put 4.5 quarts in, which when I checked the dip stick had it higher than the max but I figured that was because it hadn't circulated into the filter yet.

It starts fine, ran it around the block but the oil pressure gauge is staying at zero. No leaks. I can't figure out what's going on.

Any ideas for this newb?

·
TOYsRus
11Tundra Limited TRD
144 Posts
I think you may have a sending unit or like above, a connection issue. if you had no pressure at all, you would have some serious pinging when she is running.

best way to know for sure is test it with a mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Check the wire to the oil sending unit like already mentioned. If it looks secure, check the wire going into the back of the connector. It could be corroded or loose. If that looks ok then check with a manual gauge and see if the sending unit itself is bad. You can check it by installing it in the hole the sending unit is in. If you don't have one, you might be able to find a used sending switch in the junk yard and just swap it out.

Like already mentioned above, if there were really no oil pressure, you would have some serious knocking/pinging going on. If it sounds fine it probably is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys were right. I had knocked the wire out of the sending unit. Plugged it back in and all is peachy.

Thanks for the help!

·
Fail
93 yota
679 Posts
If you had 0 oil pressure you wouldnt have a running motor!
The "running" part is kind've up for debate.. When I blew my third cyl connecting rod all over the ground the truck still ran* but I had no oil pressure.

*ran a little rough though..

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
scared me there. 0 oil pressure from a geared oil pump at the crankshaft.... how'd that even be possible?!

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
either way, a 22R/E with no oil pressure is a big no no...

more things go into hand....

no tensioner tension, that timing chain might go *pop*
that cam might need a prayer to go on
those valves need luck

lol so much to account for, oil makes the 22R/E go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts