Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Toyota Corolla LE

I lost power to my radio/clock/cigarette lighter last week and have been trying to find the issue. None of the small fuses are broken either under the hood or under the drivers side. However, there is no power running to the "CIG" fuse and a couple others surrounding it whether the car is on or not. I did have issues for many years with the radio randomly turning off if i pressed a preset radio channel or only turning on if i pressed the power button multiple times when it is hot outside. Thinking this is all relevant to whats happened but I cannot figure out what the issue is. I am really new to doing anything electrical on my car but am a do it myselfer if I can. Maybe its a short somewhere? I was going to try replacing the cigarette lighter but dont know if that would help since there is no power running to the fuse. Any advice would be appreciated! Where do I go from here? Thanks!

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,517 Posts
Buy fuses and replace them.

There should be separate circuits for the power outlet and the radio/clock. Unless they separated the clock circuit. They might look fine, but if you have a digital multimeter, you can verify that it's good or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the cig fuse, the dome fuse, and the radio No 1 fuse, which looked to be the ones that may be affected after I did some research. I checked for power all across them with an automotive circuit tester. The cig fuse and a few around it have no power running to them still. I also should mention they dont fully seat as well as all other fuses no matter how hard I push them in.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,517 Posts
Sounds like you have a short somewhere in those circuits.

But, the power outlet should have power in both acc and off.

Edit : time to get a flashlight and start looking for corrosion or green puss in the connectors. Including the fuse box.

Did you buy the correct fuses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I bought the correct fuses. They fit and I replaced them with the corresponding amperage that I removed. Do I need a specific type of fuses?

Do you mean at the connectors to the cigarette lighter, radio, and clock as well as the fuse box? I will take a look tonight. Are there other connectors I should be looking at in a relay box somewhere?

I'm guessing if i find corrosion that I need to replace that wire?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
2,473 Posts
Sounds like you have a short somewhere in those circuits.

But, the power outlet should have power in both acc and off.

Edit : time to get a flashlight and start looking for corrosion or green puss in the connectors. Including the fuse box.

Did you buy the correct fuses?
In my 09 the power outlet is not hot in key off position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I have checked all ways (off, acc, and on) and it is still out. It must be a short. May not have time until this weekend to investigate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after giving up repairing this issue on my own, I took to a toyota specialty auto shop. I was told today is is the fuse box itself that is the issue. $1,200 in parts and labor. Anyone know if this sounds like a reasonable cost to repair?

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,517 Posts
You should go to a junkyard and get the power outlet. At some point, there might have been a power surge that caused the power outlet to burn up.

Check the connector for signs of burn. Pop the shifter cover and disconnect the power outlet and use your dmm to verify its getting power.

Have you tested the fuse location for power and ground? If there's power, then the issue isn't in the fuse box. The issue is going to be between the fuse box and the connector end, or between the outlet and the connector.

The radio and clock may have surged too. You will need to pull the radio to verify the connector isn't damaged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m guessing by power outlet, you mean the cigarette lighter. I did replace that and it didn’t help. The gray/power wire to all these elements did not light up. The ground wires and every other wire to the components (clock and stereo) did light up. The old fuses (Cig, acc, and acc-b) were all slightly burnt looking but not broken when I replaced them. The cig fuse and acc fuses both do not light up with the new fuses put in. Thank you for the response! I’m guessing that maybe a power surge (probably because of a cheap phone charger) occurred and melted something in the fuse box, which is why those two fuses don’t sit as snugly into the fuse box. Tried looking online to see how difficult it is to replace the drivers side fuse box but can’t seem to find if it is easy or complicated. If it’s complicated, I am willing to pay up for a shop to do it and have it done right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts