Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deep Gapper
89 Trk & 95 Cam
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for a possible repeat of others' ignition issues. I've searched the entire forum under "ignition," "igniter," etc. and still don't know what to do.

My 1989 22R carb Yota pickup with 170,000 miles cranks fine but does not fire up. The coil is receiving 12 v and checks out as good, according to ohms in primary and secondary circuit. The question is that expensive igniter assembly?

Before I deal with that, is there something else I should be checking. Fuses look good. I checked the coil by cranking it and holding the main cable close to the motor--no spark!

I'm thinking the distributor may have more of a role to play than I understand. Does power go through the distributor first and then to the igniter and coil and then back? I'm not too clear about ignition circuitry. Can someone explain the role the ignition key plays--I know it allows power from the battery to go to the starter, but what are the other wires for?

Thanks for any help!

·
Deep Gapper
89 Trk & 95 Cam
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow-up

The truck sits for a couple of days and I try it and no luck. Today I have it towed across town to my mechanic. He turns the ignition and it fires right up. He has tried it numerous times today and it works. He says he can't figure out what it is until it doesn't work again.

So what do I do now? Got any suggestions besides "go ahead and drive it and carry a charge card for another tow."

$75 poorer!

Thanks!

·
Deep Gapper
89 Trk & 95 Cam
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting has been intermittent before this. Just tried to start it today and as I was letting off the key a couple of times I heard a try at starting. Sounded to me like it was getting a spark. Help, please. The starter always cranks. Is there a contact in the ignition switch only to allow juice to the coil or distributor. Could it be a bad ignition switch and how could I test it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
how did you get it figured out... im havin about the same problem on my 84 but mine never has any spark untill i turn the key off then it sparks once????:headbang:

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
The igniters on our trucks are very robust. I've only ever seen a couple fail. One from being jump started backwards (reverse polarity), and another due to shorted ignition coil windings.

Definitely check the resistance of the ignition coil primary windings. If the resistance is lower than spec replace the coil too.

Victor

·
Registered
3 Posts
well... mine did this after i swapped a different cab on the frame... it worked perfect before... but i had four battery terminals and think i might have acidentely put them on wrong in all the confusion:headbang::ugh3:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts