Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded in my 2019 RAV-4 for the 2022 Highlander Platinum. I'm surprised that the map was more up to date on the RAV4. For example, the Highlander map does not display the speed limit on the current segment of the roadway as the RAV4 did. The RAV4 has a map option for displaying the speed limit (photo attached) while the Highlander does not offer that option at all. It's curious that the older RAV4 has more options than the highest trim level, newer model Highlander. The dealer was no help at all. They just said that it was the way it was. The sales guy said it was the Connected Services speed sign reading option but that is something completely different. Does anyone know why the Highlander would not offer this option?
Another nit I have to pick with the Highlander is that I have the 12 inch screen. It seems like there should be a way to have the map expand to the entire screen. Is there a way to get rid of the system view on the right in the picture? I have seen pictures of the Lexus doing just that. I have been through every piece of documentation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Plat
70 Posts
I have a 2021 Highlander Platinum and never noticed the map did not have a function to display speed limits on roads. I use my head up display 100% of the time and it displays the posted speed limit for the road I'm on... most of the time. It seems to miss a few neighborhood streets speeds (the area on the head up display where the posted speed is shown is blank), and some other types of nonposted speed limit roads. The head up display also shows when I need to make a turn using GPS as well as incoming phone call info. I find that I look down at the dashboard far less than other cars I've driven, meaning I keep my eyes on the road more of the time.

Re: 12-inch screen:
Unfortunately, the map is only 75% of the screen and no way of changing it. At least for my years (2021) model. It sounds like the 2022 model you have is the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2021 Highlander Platinum and never noticed the map did not have a function to display speed limits on roads. I use my head up display 100% of the time and it displays the posted speed limit for the road I'm on... most of the time. It seems to miss a few neighborhood streets speeds (the area on the head up display where the posted speed is shown is blank), and some other types of nonposted speed limit roads. The head up display also shows when I need to make a turn using GPS as well as incoming phone call info. I find that I look down at the dashboard far less than other cars I've driven, meaning I keep my eyes on the road more of the time.

Re: 12-inch screen:
Unfortunately, the map is only 75% of the screen and no way of changing it. At least for my years (2021) model. It sounds like the 2022 model you have is the same.
Thanks Testing12 - I did some more analysis and I think I have figured it out. The Salesman had said that the speed limit sign detection (with camera) is no longer part of Connected Services - it is now included with the vehicle. I think they did this because the dashboard/heads up display now incorporates the GPS mapping segments; not just the camera. I found this out when I turned onto an expressway entrance ramp today and the speed limit sign changed immediately to 70 mph. It has to have pulled this off of the mapping segment as there were no 70 mph signs on the ramp. Looks like Toyota has removed the mph off of the map itself and put it all on the dashboard and heads up. I'll just have to get used to the new normal and use the heads up more. Takes time to get used to.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Your salesman is incorrect. The speed limit sign detection (Road Sign Assist) has never been part of Connected Services. If equipped, it just works.

The output from RSA is shown on the multi-information display (MID) as well as the heads-up display if you have one.

The speed limit sign that would appear on the map screen is coming from map data. You need to have the map using as much screen as possible; the map's speed limit sign won't appear if it's the little map on the Home screen. If there is no speed limit data in the map for the road you're on, then of course it won't be displayed on the map.

I've found that RSA works about 80% of the time. Now that I'm paying attention to it, we don't have solid standards for the placement of road signs. I've found that the height of the sign, the distance from the curb, and the exact direction the sign is facing are all factors in whether or not RSA detects the sign. There are certain signs I pass all the time that RSA never recognizes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your salesman is incorrect. The speed limit sign detection (Road Sign Assist) has never been part of Connected Services. If equipped, it just works.

The output from RSA is shown on the multi-information display (MID) as well as the heads-up display if you have one.

The speed limit sign that would appear on the map screen is coming from map data. You need to have the map using as much screen as possible; the map's speed limit sign won't appear if it's the little map on the Home screen. If there is no speed limit data in the map for the road you're on, then of course it won't be displayed on the map.

I've found that RSA works about 80% of the time. Now that I'm paying attention to it, we don't have solid standards for the placement of road signs. I've found that the height of the sign, the distance from the curb, and the exact direction the sign is facing are all factors in whether or not RSA detects the sign. There are certain signs I pass all the time that RSA never recognizes.
Thank you Toto. I agree with everything you say. I know that the speed limit info come from the map data road segments. The fact that the map data speed info showed up on my 2020 RAV 4 but not on the newer Highlander is bothersome and the point of the posting. But I find it interesting that the speed limit sign on the MID and Heads up auto-updated to 70 mph when no sign was present. That's what leads me to suspect that on this 2022 model gets map data for that display.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It seems like there should be a way to have the map expand to the entire screen. Is there a way to get rid of the system view on the right in the picture? I have seen pictures of the Lexus doing just that. I have been through every piece of documentation.
Toyota upgraded the Highlander infotainment software for the 2023 model year. It is the same "Toyota Audio Multimedia" upgrade that was released for the 2022 Tundra and Lexus NX. The 2023 Highlander maps will go (nearly) full screen. In typical Toyota fashion the upgrade will likely not be available for prior model years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toyota upgraded the Highlander infotainment software for the 2023 model year. It is the same "Toyota Audio Multimedia" upgrade that was released for the 2022 Tundra and Lexus NX. The 2023 Highlander maps will go (nearly) full screen. In typical Toyota fashion the upgrade will likely not be available for prior model years.
That sure would be disappointing if it is not available for my model year. Thank you for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts