Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 3sfe 4cyl. Car ran fine until I parked and turned car off. I thought it was the battery but it runs at 12v. I checked my ground cables and they were all good. Had my starter tested and it was good. Could there be a starter relay or something I blew? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Could be neutral safety switch needs rebuilding or you need the starter relay mod posted in the sticky’s section.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,638 Posts
All my Accessories turn on but nothing when I turn the key
No crank when you turn the key (and accessories keep working), or all accessories turn off when you turn the key to crank?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No crank when you turn the key (and accessories keep working), or all accessories turn off when you turn the key to crank?
All my accessories stay on but I don’t get any crank. I have a brand new starter, and battery. I’ve bench tested to starter and it works

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,809 Posts
Do you get a single quiet click when you turn the key to the "START" position? If so, it could be a weak starter solenoid. With age, the factory wiring gets higher in resistance and it can't get the solenoid on the starter to fully engage.

Step 1 - Make sure you have an OEM or Denso starter on there. Most of the other stuff you can buy is crap, even if it bench tests good.
Step 2 - Try starting in Neutral instead of Park and/or wiggling the shifter while the key is in the 'START' position If that 'fixes' it, clean up the neutral safety switch:
Step 3 - If the issues is not the neutral safety switch, add a supplemental starter relay:

-Charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you get a single quiet click when you turn the key to the "START" position? If so, it could be a weak starter solenoid. With age, the factory wiring gets higher in resistance and it can't get the solenoid on the starter to fully engage.

Step 1 - Make sure you have an OEM or Denso starter on there. Most of the other stuff you can buy is crap, even if it bench tests good.
Step 2 - Try starting in Neutral instead of Park and/or wiggling the shifter while the key is in the 'START' position If that 'fixes' it, clean up the neutral safety switch:
Step 3 - If the issues is not the neutral safety switch, add a supplemental starter relay:

-Charlie
I have a brand new denso starter so I think I’m good there. I tried the wiggle/NSS thing and that didn’t work either:/. Could it be a relay or fuse? My connections are clean too btw

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
All my accessories stay on but I don’t get any crank. I have a brand new starter, and battery. I’ve bench tested to starter and it works
I don't have a wiring diagram for your 90 3S-FE automatic wagon. But I have 1990-1993 Celica's. On them, when the ignition switch is turned to the "START" position, the "ACCESSORIES" shut down (the ignition switch opens the circuit on the Accessory side in START position). If your accessories stay on when the ignition switch is in the START position, I would suspect your ignition switch. But again, that is how the same year Celica's are set up. Doesn't mean your Camry is, but I would certainly assume it to be the same.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,809 Posts
I have a brand new denso starter so I think I’m good there. I tried the wiggle/NSS thing and that didn’t work either:/. Could it be a relay or fuse? My connections are clean too btw
Good to hear you got the Denso starter. For future reference, you can usually keep the OEM starter and just replace the contacts and starter to get back on the road and reliable (assuming that's the issue).

Check for 12V at the starter trigger wire (small connector, not the bolt-on connection) with the key in the START position. That will tell you whether the connections are good. There are no relays in the auto trans 'START' circuit, and the only fuse is the large 80A "ALT" fuse that is bolted to the battery positive connection (which also powers the accessory circuits), so it is unlikely a hard fault.

Have you tried starting the car in neutral, with and without wiggling it? Also, it would be worth charging the battery if you can.

-Charlie

·
1,638 Posts
keep the OEM starter and just replace the contacts and starter
Methinks you may have meant to say something different than what you wrote.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To all those concerned! Problem was solved. There was a weird plug that went to I think is the base of the transmission. Any idea as to what that is?

·
1,638 Posts
What makes you think/say that the connector to the neutral safety switch is not part of the wiring harness? It ain't a wi-fi connection to the NSS, for sure.

Reactions: 66conv6 and 88 LE

·
Grenaded piston
6,602 Posts
No it was part of the wiring harness. Idk what it was it had orange and yellow wires coming from it. I sound dumb, I know but any clue what it is?
Plug to the neutral safety switch. It does have orange and yellow / blue stripe wires.

The starting circuit is pretty simple. Battery ---> 80A alt fuse ---> ignition switch (AM1) ---> ST1 (start) at ignition switch ---> neutral safety/start switch ---> starter.

This is for the automatic transmission.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,809 Posts
Methinks you may have meant to say something different than what you wrote.......
Yes, contacts and plunger... whoops.

-Charlie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts