Toyota Nation Forum banner

No Traction on 2012 SE

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  underthehood51 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2012 SE 2WD with 81k miles. It came with brand new Entrada H/T Provider tires (a tire store's brand). I get no traction at all with this car - whether pulling away from a stop light on wet ground, or even on dry ground with a very slight incline, the front wheels will spin if I apply anything but average to light pressure on the pedal I mean loud burn-rubber type spinning if I don't let up on the gas right away. I also have a 2009 Limited 4WD and have never had the wheels spin so this is new to me for the HL. I'm curious if the spinning is due to the low quality tires OR if the 2WD versions will spin regardless of the tire. Does anyone else have issues with tires spinning - even newer tires - on the 2WD versions? I also have a 2012 RX-350 2WD with old Michelin's and it does not do this.

#4 ·
Its all in the tires and the colder it gets. The worst traction becomes with all season tires.

Do research on tire site reviews of various tire models and there rating # in different condition. Assuming a specific make has the best tires for traction is a big mistake. They're all different in different weather.

#5 ·
It's a little of both. I drove a 2wd with very high quality tires prior to buying the one I have now. No way I would EVER buy a 2wd Highlander. Waste of money IMO. Also the 3.5 engine is very high strung. It seems to react much more quickly to even light throttle input. Hell I have lit up all 4 of my tires on dry pavement before I got used to it compared to my older 3.0 V6 one.

#8 ·
You lit up all 4 tires? That's crazy LOL. I wonder if your car has been tinkered with. Mine certainly won't light up all 4 LOL. My 2010 Rav4 couldn't light up all four from a stop, but I could throw it into a power slide on wet roads with the stock run flats LOL.

#7 ·
Not so as these do not use an electronic controlled coupler which blow on Kia/Hyundai builds even still. I have a Sorento and went out just over 40,000km fyi. These HL up to 2013 are direct driven and as long as the oil remains in the various diff areas. All is good.

#12 ·
The only time I have spun tires in my Camry is with my third set of tires. My first were OEM BridgeStone's, second was Ecopia's, and my third and current is BFGoodrich Advantage T/A. The BridgeStone's were worn by the time I swapped them but thinking back on it they were really not that bad. The Ecopia's were probably my favorite it's just that my driving style did not match them so the sides were (maybe) feathering. The Advantage T/A suck because if I am at the red light on a on-ramp and it is wet my wheels will spin if I give it some throttle so I have to let go and try it again. These were the only tires to do that and the only difference between now and when I had my Ecopia's is that I got an ECU tune and I use a throttle controller. You can blame the throttle controller for a majority of why they spun but even then when my first and second set never spun even when their tread was getting pretty low yet my Advantage T/A has more than plenty of tread is beyond me.

I am planning on Continental PureContact's next but I heard when their tread gets low and it is wet they are not that good... So I may end up back with my Ecopia's.

#16 ·
Entrada tires. Made overseas using the cheapest materials, these are not the ones you want to use when it comes to safety. I would invest in a high quality tire such as Michelin. Michelin Defender series has a very good reputation, check out the reviews on TireRack.com. There are other good quality brands out there, do your research. If you can't find a review on Entrada tires on TireRack.com, there is probably a good reason why they do not carry it.

#18 ·
The 2 WD unit I drove had Michelin on it IIRC and you could barely touch the pedal and they were spinning like mad. I don't think the HL has very good weight distribution. Combined with the high strung engine. Driving that one convinced me a 2wd is a waste of money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.