Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my idea....and please no jokes I am a Noob so be gentle....

Since I am and have never really been a fan of Turbos or Superchargers, I was planning on turning my nice new 89 GTS into an All-Engine monster without a turbo or S/C. I was wondering if anyone here had tried this before and what kind of HP am I looking at making. Don't hafta be specific just a ballpark idea is cool. Say with all the normal mods but no turbo or S/C, a nice radically aggressive cam setup, fuel injection upgrade, intake, headers, and exhaust, y'know all the normal stuff....My bro and I were trying to figure it out last night and we couldn't really find any accurate numbers to go off of....We aren't even sure how much HP this thing has to start with....120? 130?? 140!?!? Bueller.....Bueller.....Bueller......

Thanks

Mark

:barf::rice:

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
I don't know if your year has the high comp or low comp engine.

The high comp claims 130 Fly Wheel HP stock. The low comp has I belive 120HP or so. The seem to dyno around 90-110 Wheel Horsepower depending on the year and condition.

I have heard 4a-ges with full bolt-ons and cams can run very nice and I suspect 150 whp would be reasonable depending on the level of tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mine is the Hi comp, that much I do know.....As far as tune level we plan on being VERY aggressive....

And MRQturbo, I use the term monster loosely....I was just trying to get my point across on what I wanna do. And you can get power from any engine even this, it may not be much but it'll still be power....I don't want a racecar right outta the box, I wanna build to that. I don't have the financial backing to go all out on a turbo setup. So I'm gonna start small and work up to it if I feel so inclined. But as I said, I dont like turbos....

You see any idiot with enough money can make his/her car powerful with a turbo, but a TRUE car enthusiast and artiste will find ways to squeeze power out of what you already have....do you get where I coming from?

Just wait until I stuff a 5.0 Mustang engine in it :lol:

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Great, do some search on Formula Atlantic 4A-GE. There are parts availiable to do it. You won't get full 240 race power but could do 200HP. Only thing is, its a high reving engine. You will have no low end torque. While other up shift at 7000rpm, you'll need to down shift :D

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
the stock 89 gt-s has a bigport 4age..... 115hp (85-87 was 112hp, had smaller injectors and a different afm).....

there are several variants of the 4age engine.... ranging from what you have (base) to the 4age blacktop (map based, 20V, ITB's)..... you can do a swap, or you can build your 4age fairly well

there are tons of cams available, HKS makes some of the more popular sets... however, don't forget that with the bigger cams also comes higher rpm ranges (and higher power bands) and less daily driveability..... you can raise compression, you can lower it... you can get higher compression pistons etc etc etc....

with a 4age, there's little limit... you can even (if you're rich enough) build your own version of the formula atlantic 4age engine.... 240hp 16V 11,000 rpm limit... however, i doubt that would be very fun to drive in traffic :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's not quite what I want....7000rpm down shifts....ummm no thanks....I'll look into another avenue, but thanks for the info Pineapple and you too toyotaspeed.....

You guys realize that you are sucking all the fun outta my idea and making me realize it may not be a good way to go....DAMMIT.....I really didn't want to have to go with a turbo....but I guess I may have to....:headbang: :ugh3: :sosad:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
no.... that isn't what i'm saying..... you can easily make it a much faster n/a car with daily driveability.... what i was saying is that if you get too out of hand then it won't be a DD

you can also build a 7age motor, and actually have some torque in the car

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I hear you...I smoke what your passin......It can be done but don't go nuts....is that what you're saying? I never intended to go too overboard with this but you know a little extra power never hurt anyone.....well if you count smacking into a wall at 100mph. I have done absolutely nothing to the car yet, this was just my first brainstorm idea for what I wanna do...I still have a lot of research to do so who knows by the end of it all I may change my own mind on the use of Turbos....but that's not likely.....:rolleyes:

What are your thoughts on stroker kits?

·
nice guy
191 Posts
As of yet i haven't seen a stroker for a any 4AGE, but you can look. i didn't look that much. If you got a stroker, you would also have to bore the engine. You may be able to bore it one hundred thousandths. I wouldn't do a stroker, seeing how you said "...don't have the financial backing...". Strokers are expensive to do man.

First i would get your head port and polished. It is like $200. Then, I would get forged pistons, rods, and a crank. Then get valves lifters and retainers. And if you still have money left get a set of cams. Then if you still have money left, go ahead and get headers and an intake while the engine is out of the car. Then, get all of the bolt ons, exhaust, ect. Then, AFTER you get an intake, get a fuel rail and injectors.

You may even be able to find an aluminium block....but i have never looked for one.

And look into your transmisssion while the engine is out.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
hks used to make a stroker kit... called a 5age.... not sure if it's still around or not

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
the 4AGE is not a good candidate for a turbo setup. A 4AGZE would make a much better candidate due to it being reinforced for the supercharger duties.

You could get a 4AGZE swap, throw some HKS cams, intake-exhaust, etc.. and be looking at some decent HP depending on which GZE you get. OR if you want more power out of the GZE, you could go the twincharger way and add a turbocharger to the supercharger. :thumbup: :D

OR you could say screw that 4AGE/4AGZE setup and go for a 3SGTE swap from an MR2 turbo or a Celica ALL-TRAC plus a 3SGE transmission from a camry, add a heavy duty clutch and you got yourself a nice 200-250hp + ride.. right out the box. Now can you imagine the HP you could pull after doing some work on that 3SGTE?? :eek:

·
since 1996
05 Impreza RS 2.5
1,772 Posts
MRQturbo said:
all engine monster out of a four cyclinder.....w/o any form of forced induction......good luck.....
I don't see how the Atlantic serise is anything but a monster engine. Unless Formula Atlantic racing isn't at all fast... But I see where you are going. Most people usualy only N/A tune up to 140-180 hp. But still fairly good concidering the size of the car.

Pineapple said:
Great, do some search on Formula Atlantic 4A-GE. There are parts availiable to do it. You won't get full 240 race power but could do 200HP. Only thing is, its a high reving engine. You will have no low end torque. While other up shift at 7000rpm, you'll need to down shift :D
My thoughts exactly. The 4A-GE Atlantic Serise is my deam set up but realiticaly thinking it does not seem like an afordable option unless the engine is used and not rebuilt. Even then you will need to do a lot of tranny and suspension work to use it's potential. Also a new exhaust will be needed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my uncle used to tune his AW11, and knows a company in Daly City that manufactures Formula Atlantic PARTS (not the engines. oh God.)

my uncle figured it would be too expensive having two kids and a family, so he does circuit go-kart racing

the biggest question is... will you be willing to swap your engine? (toyota of course)

the "least" biggest headache would be a 20v swap, with new cams/gears... running open tb's youll have one of the fastest street cars out there. not smoggable. but fast.

if youre going to use your redtop... which im not sure if it is or not, 89 was the debut for the hi-comp but also included blue-tops... depends on your lettering if you know the color hasnt been tampered with... anyways...

from any base redtop bluetop, expect about 155, give or take 10.

theres a guide on this for lightly tuning ae92's:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq and tech_pages/ae92_light_tuning_guide.htm

good luck

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
jayboogie said:

the "least" biggest headache would be a 20v swap, with new cams/gears... running open tb's youll have one of the fastest street cars out there. not smoggable. but fast.

good luck
actually a friend of mine had his 20V installed by a shop, and it took them over 6 MONTHS to finish it.... and when all was said and done, he couldn't keep up with my ae92

·
Registered
37 Posts
toyotaspeed90 said:
actually a friend of mine had his 20V installed by a shop, and it took them over 6 MONTHS to finish it.... and when all was said and done, he couldn't keep up with my ae92
6 months? too much.

i know 3 guys with ae86's and 20v's...

im talking about an ae92 20v swap, a little bit easier.

what did you have in your ae92... because 20v = quick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
toyotaspeed90 said:
hks used to make a stroker kit... called a 5age.... not sure if it's still around or not

Yeah HKS still makes it....sort of....I saw it last night....it just a piston set for the 85-89 MR-2 with the 4age, not listed under corolla, its pistons, piston rings, wrist pins and retaining clips for $500....but thats it

By the way, thanks for all the good info everyone...I appreciate it...its good to talk to people that actually know whats what....especially for some unknowing person like me whos just getting into it....

·
Shit Disturber
249 Posts
Foolish86 said:

First i would get your head port and polished. It is like $200. Then, I would get forged pistons, rods, and a crank. Then get valves lifters and retainers. And if you still have money left get a set of cams. Then if you still have money left, go ahead and get headers and an intake while the engine is out of the car. Then, get all of the bolt ons, exhaust, ect. Then, AFTER you get an intake, get a fuel rail and injectors.
dood, you mentioned doing all the cool things, but totally in the wrong order! you'd first want an intake, exhaust, headers, cams, and AFTER P&P! the place flowing your head would tell you at your current lift, this bore is best and what not, well you dont want that done with stock lobes...:hammer:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
toyotaspeed90 said:

6 months to install and run on an AE92? wow, they must have do a lot of rewiring. it took us 3 days to drop my original motor and swap it with the AE86 cross member on my starlet.

btw, what do you have on an AE92? i doubt stock for stock a 16V can take a 20V. if you have a high comp, there's a possibility if yours isn't stock no more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts