Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just bought my cousins 1 owner first crashed car and the hood doesnt have a vin i replaced it with a aftermarket ebay hood that doesnt have a vin eather just wondering am i crazy or toyota really didnt put a vin on there hoods???? i hope they accept my ebay part

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
1,225 Posts
The only legal place a VIN needs to be is attached to the plate on the dash, visible thru the front windshield.
All other locations that it could be can be removed if needed in case of a repair.

When I did the paperwork at a tow company for all our wrecked or impounded vehicles that were the only place you retrieved that info. A car could have multiple stickers or plates with other VIN numbers from repairs, but most people would remove them.

Just how would someone selling you an aftermarket hood put your VIN number on it? The only people legally allowed to do this are your state's Highway Patrol or DMV.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,499 Posts
Hey just bought my cousins 1 owner first crashed car and the hood doesnt have a vin i replaced it with a aftermarket ebay hood that doesnt have a vin eather just wondering am i crazy or toyota really didnt put a vin on there hoods???? i hope they accept my ebay part
Replacement hoods no longer get the vin sticker. The reason being, Toyota doesn’t hand these out like candy. It’s likely due to legalities.

proof of ownership is the only way you get it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone asking because CHP will inspect my cars vin since it has to be re registered salavage no hood as vin funny my acura has it all over doors + truck lid hah i see toyotas dont

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
16,034 Posts
Being a Salvage Title they know it's most likely gonna have a mish mash of used and aftermarket parts. If the primary dash/windshield VIN is intact they'll look for the others but will be fine with it.
I went thru this with CA. DMV not long ago with a car from out of State.
Where the hood that was on it?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,499 Posts
thanks everyone asking because CHP will inspect my cars vin since it has to be re registered salavage no hood as vin funny my acura has it all over doors + truck lid hah i see toyotas dont
You will need to buy from dealer or through the body shop. Since they are security labels, they are difficult to purchase. Same goes for the vin plates.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,499 Posts
Being a Salvage Title they know it's most likely gonna have a mish mash of used and aftermarket parts. If the primary dash/windshield VIN is intact they'll look for the others but will be fine with it.
I went thru this with CA. DMV not long ago with a car from out of State.
Where the hood that was on it?
It’s on the passenger side of the hood.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
16,034 Posts
I was wondering where the OEM hood was, if he had it he could provide photos to CHP if needed with the hood leaning up against the car and a close-up of the tag.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,499 Posts
I was wondering where the OEM hood was, if he had it he could provide photos to CHP if needed with the hood leaning up against the car and a close-up of the tag.
Oh sorry I was confused.

The OP should pass just fine. Honestly, the CHP is more concerned about the engine and transmission more than the chassis. If the engine and trans were reported stolen, then it’s an issue. Vin tag on the windshield is valid and no sign of tampering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts