Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zerk fittings don't exist on my truck when I saw rust on the U joints of the drive shafts. A few of the plastic seals on the u-joints are busted, so what's the proper route in keeping them lubed?

2007, prerunner, 2wd

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,364 Posts
It's not just Toyota that has gone the cheaper route on these. Lubed for life. HAHAHA!

Once they do die, you can go with aftermarket ones that have grease fittings.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yep, no zerks on 2WD Tacomas. Nothing you can do, they are 'lubed for life' which of course means for the life of the u-joint. When they eventually fail, replace 'em with ones that can be greased, if you prefer.
That's as bad as Dodge. A few years ago, I had a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. Crawled under the lift while a friend of mine was lubing it for the first time (he had an oil change/lube shop). I asked about the absence of zerk fittings. He said that Chrysler drilled the holes, tapped them, but just put a plastic plug in the hole. It was up to the customer to put his own zerks in!! Can you believe such a cheap-assed way to treat people?...just for a few cents per zerk fitting...no wonder Chrysler went down the tubes.

THAT'S one of the many reasons I went over to Toyota Tacomas!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that's retarded. Oh well, nothing can last forever.
Ever since I slapped on some grease on them, the acceleration is smoother, and vibration lessen. It seems like it's a 50k mile replacement realistically for the average all road tacoma. I'll just head down to my local auto store, and replace whatever they have since it's a cheap part to replace.

·
Tacozoid
06 Tacoma double cab
32 Posts
Do what I did, at 90K the center one went to dust! I tossed all three in the trash and for $16. each I got Severe duty, lifetime guaranteed U-joints. They have zerks! Imagine that? That was standard stuff in 1910. Now every 5000 miles they get a squirt!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but I'm ahead of you (haha). I replaced one of the joints with zerks from Napa. I think they were $12 per joint. It's only a 24 month warranty, but it will last for longer if it's kept lubed up every 5k miles like you said. Months have gone by now after the repair, no problems at all.
It's fair amount of work to get them out, but worth it. I checked my dad's Ford F350. It's like 10 years old, and its got no zerk fittings either. They are in good condition too.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,761 Posts
A lot of manufacturers are going away from zerk fittings. My old Sunfire had 2 of them, on the tie rod ends, and when I replaced those and the ball joints I ended up with 4 zerk fittings. It makes the term "chassis lube" obsolete nowadays, it seems....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.