Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel vibration over 60 miles per hour and thud noise over bumps. After checking all the suspension parts (sway bar bushing replaced last year), it appears to be from the
right trailing arm. I tried a pry bar and see some movement but don't know if that is normal. The video link is below:

What is your opinion - any insight will help..thanks!

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
795 Posts
I'd say you found it - rear trailing arm bushing in the spindle is worn out. Pro tip: Don't wear flip flops, lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel vibration over 60 miles per hour and thud noise over bumps. After checking all the suspension parts (sway bar bushing replaced last year), it appears to be from the
right trailing arm. I tried a pry bar and see some movement but don't know if that is normal. The video link is below:
Visiting Autguysland to find car diagnostic tool if you concern.

What is your opinion - any insight will help..thanks!
It is possible worn, lose or failing rear trailing arm. Check and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The left side seems to be okay. Should I replace in pairs (don't trust my common sense which says yes) and alignment necessary? Just got done a week earlier.
Thanks for the replies.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
795 Posts
"General Rule" here is to replace in pairs. I prefer parts on both sides that are of equal age / mileage, for even wear.

If going for aftermarket Poly bushings / inserts, then definitely ... Yes.

re: alignment - see how the vehicle tracks after the repair, and make an informed decision. Keep an eye on tire wear - if you decide to defer. Any doubt or concern during or after repair - call your trusted alignment shop to discuss / bring it back in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bushing in the knuckle is worn out. What part is required ? Replacing rear trailing arm seem not to fix it?!
Pls take a look at the pics below which shows the issue and two diff parts. Only the 2nd part will go there but
it has bushing at the other end..

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
That part that seems to be loose I believe is 48780-33010. The other two arms that go from the center to the each rear wheels are the above part number IIRC.

That part that has play doesn't wear out too often from what I've seen. usually both of the rear trailing arms tend to fail after some 200K+ miles.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
795 Posts
Toyota doesn't sell just the bushing separate from the knuckle / spindle assembly, IIRC.

You can get an aftermarket rubber bushing, or Poly bushing inserts, see the video linked above for how to install.

Energy Suspension also makes Poly bushing kits for the Camry. You should check w/ them also if interested. ... I dunno the part #.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Trailing arm bushing is available on Rock Auto from Dorman, part # 905521. Removing the old worn busing is the easy part. There's not allot of room to press the new one on. This comes with a metal sleeve and drift pin to aid in installation.
From memory I believe I used a large carpenters clamp in combination with the metal sleeve and lot's of lube.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I am stuck. I got the nut off the trailing arm bolt but the bolt is spinning with the bushing. This is near the tire, not even tried the upper / other side bolt.
Cannot knock the bolt out because of the rear wheel hub. Any ideas?!

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
795 Posts
Ouch. If you could get some leverage behind the bolt head while turning w/ lots of PB Blaster / penetrating lubricant, that's helped me in the past - but if it's just too far gone, you may want to consider bolting it back up, and bringing it to a shop that can torch it out for you .. but you may need a (new) replacement trailing arm, if that happens.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I am stuck. I got the nut off the trailing arm bolt but the bolt is spinning with the bushing. This is near the tire, not even tried the upper / other side bolt.
Cannot knock the bolt out because of the rear wheel hub. Any ideas?!
Now that you mention the issue you're having, I had replaced the trailing arm bushings when I replaced my hubs, once the hubs were off I had plenty of room to work on the bushings..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts