Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A few days ago i changed the belt tensioner in my 06 corolla because of squeaky belt sound. After the change now i hear a purr noise coming from ac compressor it only happens when the car is in drive and around 1000 rpms. It also happens when stop at red light and star moving, here's a video.

https://youtu.be/3JQYYcBPh0E

Any suggestions of what could be?

·
Various Toyotas
4,092 Posts
Do you still have the old tensioner? Put it back on and see if that "purr" noise goes away. Was the belt replaced also? Does that purr sound happen when the A/C is turned on or off or both? I still have my original tensioner even with 374K miles. Belt has only been changed once (Gatorback belt).

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,675 Posts
What it may be is the belt stretched and is loose around the compressor pulley.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i still have the old tensioner, the belt is pratically new changed it few months ago, is one of those dayco. I've notice it makes the noise when the ac is off also, but louder when ac is on. So maybe something is vibrating around the ac compressor, cause it only happens when around 800 to 1000 rmps.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,675 Posts
Idle the engine and see if the belt has slack.

·
Various Toyotas
4,092 Posts
When you first replaced the belt, you did not have the noise until later when you replaced the tensioner, right?

If so, put your old tensioner back in and see if the noise goes away.

The reason I suggest reinstalling the original tensioner is because I think you're saying that the problem didn't happen until you replaced it, so I'm suggesting something might be wrong with the new tensioner since that is the only variable.

And yeah.....you can also check what 75aces suggested. EDIT: Oh, you already did that, OK.

·
Various Toyotas
4,092 Posts
Additionally as an example,

Many of you are aware that when belts are replaced (like timing belts), that it is recommended to replace all pullies and any devices operated by the belt (like a water pump) because all those pullies have become accustomed to the original belt with the tension that was applied with that belt over time/miles. Often, when a belt but nothing else is replaced, the other devices later go bad. It's because a different belt with its varying tension compared to the previous belts will put stress on those pullies. You might want to check all devices driven by the belt.

·
2013 Corolla S
2,649 Posts
That sounds like a bad tensioner... especially the 800 to 1000 RPM and and when taking off. There's a bushing in the pivot of the hydraulic shock that makes that sound when it fails. Did you buy a cheap tensioner? Only buy Toyota, Denso, or Dayco tensioners.

Also these hydraulic tensioners must be SLOWLY compressed and decompressed... like 30seconds from relaxed to collapsed and back. If not they can be damaged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got one of those "GATES 39068 Belt Tensioner", I'll try to put the old tensioner next sunday and check the pulleys i'll let you know.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
2013 Corolla S
2,649 Posts
I got one of those "GATES 39068 Belt Tensioner", I'll try to put the old tensioner next sunday and check the pulleys i'll let you know.

Thanks for your suggestions.
A spring based replacement... interesting...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found this in amazon,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZCZgfiL5ayGZKmrk8

i'm missing that alternator decoupler pulley, maybe that's the cause of the noise.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,606 Posts
It's probably the tensioner. Personally, I don't like OAD pulleys as they have a service life of only 75K to 100K miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put the old tensioner today, all looking good, no more strange vibrations. Also notice the new spring type tensioner is softer when compressing, don't know why they sell this type of garbage.

Thanks to everybody.

·
Various Toyotas
4,092 Posts
Glad you got this figured out. Putting the old tensioner back in was my first thought, since it was after the install of the new one that this noise started. Gates is usually known to be a good brand (at least for belts) but perhaps the hydraulic tensioner is a better option. Probably want to go with an OE Toyota tensioner or take a gamble on a Beck/Arnley tensioner. I think the aftermarket came up with these spring tensioners for one or both of two reasons: 1. It's cheaper? 2. It's the aftermarket's way to fix a percieved problem with original equipment, like with Moog's "Problem Solver" line of replacement parts that "fix" or improve upon a weakness in original equipment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts