Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 corolla,03vibe,
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 olds acheiva,45k miles,a/t a/c slight weird noise coming from alternator area. it sounds worst when a/c is on. maybe imagination ,but looks like belt dust around that area. might be one of the pulleys are dragging or a/c compressor clutch going out??? some of these 3.1 litre v/6,s have a rep for going thru alternators quickly. i just bought this car so i ain,t sure. anyone experienced this??

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
what the heck is an achieva???

but either way, might be more helpful if you can explain what kind of noise it's making.....squealing/scratching/metal on metal, etc etc.....

could possibly just be a cracked belt.....but if there's possibly metal shavings or the like, then probably the pulley

·
Registered
04 corolla,03vibe,
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noise=

it sounds like a humming, whining type sound.i also have a 98, chevy lumina with the same engine and i listened for comparison. the chevy ain,t got that weird noise.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,662 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
what the heck is an achieva???

but either way, might be more helpful if you can explain what kind of noise it's making.....squealing/scratching/metal on metal, etc etc.....

could possibly just be a cracked belt.....but if there's possibly metal shavings or the like, then probably the pulley
Oldsmobile Achieva.. doesn't anyone here know their GM cars??? :disappoin

:lol:

and yes.. that's probably a belt screeching.. meaning is bound to go soon.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Nope, it's the diodes bad in the rectifier. Take it off and have a local alternator shop install a new rectifier, should be about $35 total. Check the battery as the probable cause of failure.

rectifier

·
Registered
04 corolla,03vibe,
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
acheiva alternator question.

one more question please= are you saying that quite possibly the battery is making the rectifer malfunction or be damaged?? and when the alternator is repaired the battery should be checked or replaced?? by the way, this battery is a 3 year old, 100 month warranty,sears die hard gold. i,d hate to discard it prematurly. thanks for the advice. jim

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
when the alternator is repaired the battery should be checked or replaced - yes
it should also be pro-rated so a new one won't cost quite as much. The only bad thing about dealing with sears is they want you to prove the battery is bad before they replace it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just sold my 92 Beretta GT. It has the 3.1L engine. The alternator sits right above the exhaust maifold on those cars. They seem to go through alternators alot. If the sound is kind of a weird humming/screeching sound at idle then when you step lightly on the gas and it starts to change or go away its the alternator diodes. Replace the alternator with a lifetime warranty one that way every time it goes through one you just bring it back and get the new one. Those engines go through alternators probably around every 3 years with normal driving. I feel dirty because I know so much about the 3.1L chevy V6 :( also you can check www.beretta.net it' not the same car but you can use the engine section to help alot with problems.

·
Registered
04 corolla,03vibe,
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
die hard gold.

i bought this car from a lady 86 years of age,and the warranty is non-transferable. there is no way i would have bought a 100 month warranty battery. this car has a gage package and it,s shows the voltmeter as no change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just go to wal mart let them do a test to tell you if it is your batt or something else it will tell you whats the problem i had the same problem with my 92 4runner my was alt but the best part is that i didn't even have to pay it was no charge :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts