Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my wife A 21 highlander XLE in moon dust.

Loves the car, as she's had nothing but nissans, but that's a story for another time...
Started noticing a noise when opening the pass side front door. Almost like something's not lined up completely...

and the door sounds very different when closing from the other doors.
she's adamite something's not right and i was reluctant to agree at first but, definitely sounds like somethings not right.

Anyone else have a similar issue with their 4th gen?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bought my wife A 21 highlander XLE in moon dust.

Loves the car, as she's had nothing but nissans, but that's a story for another time...
Started noticing a noise when opening the pass side front door. Almost like something's not lined up completely...

and the door sounds very different when closing from the other doors.
she's adamite something's not right and i was reluctant to agree at first but, definitely sounds like somethings not right.

Anyone else have a similar issue with their 4th gen?
Several have had issues with doors needing to be adjusted by the dealer. It sounds like you are one of them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My '22 has this same noise, a loud POP kind of sound. on the front passenger door. It is somewhat lower on subsequent openings. Dealer said "this is normal, and will get better with time..." It has not. What is different on this door, and why are there several of us who have experienced this sound?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry everyone havent had time to update this post. Been crazy between new born, moving and various other life related things lol

I talked to my warranty administrator and she said I personally would go ask our bodyshop manager and see if he can do you a favor because If i go through the shop, then the toyota rep has to get involved and it turns into a big deal. I told her I will reach out to our toyota regional field office and talk to my buddy over there as now my father inlaws brand new 22 xle is doing the same thing.
Stay tuned....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright Got it fixed. Had my Service manager take it over to our bodyshop, and they adjusted the striker 1/8 inch he said and its a world better!
I guess it helps making this place good money, always being reliable, honest, and damn good at what I do, helps! lol Oh yea, and the wifes happy now!
Happy wife, happy life!

Reactions: ArAd3 and GPA_DRK

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess what... Noise is back... Gonna see whats up... stay tuned

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2022 XLE does the same thing, I took it to my dealership and they took the note down and said it did sound different but to just drive the car and it should start to smooth the striker. Since the dealer has it on record they said by the chance it gets worst, they have it recorded and would fix it in the future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2022 XSE and it does the same thing on the passenger side front door.

Be Careful... I for one always ask myself is the REMEDY Worse than the PROBLEM???? Over the years in owning many different cars, I have taken my car in to the service department only to get it back with the problem "fixed" but other issues as a result of the repair. Unless a repair is life or death or a safety issues, I have learned to accept minor issues or noises because of my concern that the tech will either cause another issue or perhaps damage my car. I have heard many of these things in this Forum for minor issues that become MAJOR ISSUES as a result of wanting things perfect. I would much rather have a "Factory Tight" car than to have the service department do an "Invasive" serach for a problem and deal with the consequences of their carelessness in how they treat or handle my car.

JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT MY FRIENDS 😃

P.S. I remember reading on this forum about someone who had a noise in their sunroof so they took it in for service and the tech messed up the headliner while reinstalling and also destroyed their front drivers seat while he had his knees digging into his leather seats. Sometimes it's better off to just leave things alone if it's not a major or safety issue because HUMANS are the one's who are making the repairs😟
Those of us in this forum obviously take a lot of pride in our cars and share their stories to be helpful to others. I am a big fan of the forum and have learned so much about my vehicles over the years from good people like yourselves. Thanks Everyone for their input!!!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED😃

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont understand why the majority of you claim to have A bad experience at a A dealer and now swear off and bash dealerships every chance they get... While I agree, that Things do happen, to an extent. But that doesnt make all dealerships terrible... We are all after all, human. And most of you make bogus accusations, especially when it comes to a noise, that the dealership doesnt hear, or cant reproduce because they neglect to mention, "It only happens when they back out of their driveway which is on a 85 degree incline, with they're foot on the gas and brake and the sunroof open" before they drop the car off... In my honest opinion, drop off noises should never be allowed, You should have to schedule a test drive with either a seasoned (aka team leader) tech, or the service manager. Dropping off a noise complaint is almost setting up the tech for failure because 90% of the complaints are due to Owners expecting unrealistic things or the car to Drive like new, even with 100k+ miles on it. and that my friends is just unreasonable. Im not saying all dealerships are perfect, but anyone who reads some of these "Horror stories" remember, theres always 2 sides to a story and to take eveything you see, hear or read, with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The reason you hear about "dealerships" is this is a forum for cars. FIRST and FOREMOST, I don't think anyone said ALL DEALERSHIPS and I for one have a great dealership, 1 service advisor and 1 service tech who ONLY works on my car. For many years and for all of my different brand cars I have always formed a relationship with my tech and have asked to meet him. Every time I take my car in, I make a point to meet him so they know who's car they are working on. This system has worked perfectly and have always had a GREAT EXPERIENCE at my dealerships. If you just take your car in and "hope for the best" well, no guarantee as to what you will get, like playing "Russian Roulette" LOL 😟

With all due respect to "MasterofNone" above, I will never accept the "We are all Human" excuse for sloppy work or justification of "things just happen" excuse. There are way too many good people out their who take pride in their workmanship and how they do their job, I am one of those people and try and seek out like minded people when I am the customer out in the world. I'ts not just mechanics, it's everywhere and I have no tolerance for mediocrity in the world.
That's NOT what customers pay for or what customers should expect just because "Humans" are involved. It's about having a "higher standard" something we all should expect and something we all should give 😃

As far as the popping sound that comes from my front passenger door which is what this post was originally about, I'm just living with it since so far, nobody seems to have an easy fix or an answer as to why this noise is present and I'm not letting anyone tear apart my car in search of this noise that I can live with LOL :LOL:

·
Registered
268 Posts
@New2xse I commend you for your approach at your dealership. I am recently back to Toyota ownership (after about 9 or 10 years) with my '22 Platinum Hybrid, and the local dealership is very big, and seems to have a dozen or more service advisors, (who appear to be in a revolving door, partially, I suspect, due to Covid) and customers are instructed that we will get who ever is available when we arrive...and there is never an opportunity to actually meet with a tech. (I suppose their time is too valuable?) It is very impersonal. Not only do they have a service manager, but they have two "service drive managers" (or some such title) as well. The other Toyota dealership is over an hour away... Needless to say, I have not been impressed. It is now SIX months since I bought, and brought to their attention several issues that they promised a Factory Rep will be in to look at. This is AFTER they confirmed my complaints, which they were not able to resolve...and I have been told that he has been here (probably more than one time) and that other owners had "more important issues" he needed to address. Needless to say, I am not happy, and yes my issues are minor, but it IS a $51,000+ vehicle. I had planned to call the dealer again today, and if I don't get results, I will be calling Toyota once again. Last time I was referred back to the dealer...who wasn't happy that I spoke to Toyota about them.

ANYWAY.....

I must say, that the loud pop sound from our right front does DOES seem to have abated. I question why it was there to begin with, (and others have had the exact same noise) and the fact that it does seem to be gone makes me wonder why it was there to begin with...and are the tolerances that Toyota allows on there cars now, less than in the past. Has something worn down, or shifted due to lack of structural rigidity? I thought one of the "features" of the new chassis (name of which I forget) was stronger and lighter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason you hear about "dealerships" is this is a forum for cars. FIRST and FOREMOST, I don't think anyone said ALL DEALERSHIPS and I for one have a great dealership, 1 service advisor and 1 service tech who ONLY works on my car. For many years and for all of my different brand cars I have always formed a relationship with my tech and have asked to meet him. Every time I take my car in, I make a point to meet him so they know who's car they are working on. This system has worked perfectly and have always had a GREAT EXPERIENCE at my dealerships. If you just take your car in and "hope for the best" well, no guarantee as to what you will get, like playing "Russian Roulette" LOL 😟

With all due respect to "MasterofNone" above, I will never accept the "We are all Human" excuse for sloppy work or justification of "things just happen" excuse. There are way too many good people out their who take pride in their workmanship and how they do their job, I am one of those people and try and seek out like minded people when I am the customer out in the world. I'ts not just mechanics, it's everywhere and I have no tolerance for mediocrity in the world.
That's NOT what customers pay for or what customers should expect just because "Humans" are involved. It's about having a "higher standard" something we all should expect and something we all should give 😃

As far as the popping sound that comes from my front passenger door which is what this post was originally about, I'm just living with it since so far, nobody seems to have an easy fix or an answer as to why this noise is present and I'm not letting anyone tear apart my car in search of this noise that I can live with LOL :LOL:
Calm down, wasnt meant to become a venting session.
I myself take great pride in my work and have a reputation for both getting it right the first time, and Quality of the work I perform. That being said,
Where did I say we are all human was an excuse for sloppy work? I didnt. So.....

Im def not replying to this post anymore. way past the point of returning to the original subject.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Master of None, Wasn't trying to start a venting session so my apologies if you took my words the wrong way, nothing ill intended from my comments, just sharing my thoughts as we all do on this Forum 😃 Glad to hear that you are like minded and have a higher standard and strive to do things right the first time along with quality workmanship. I wish more people were like that in the world but sadly as I'm sure we most have experienced, that's not the Planet we all live on 😟 My email said that "I" will never accept the "We are all Human" as an excuse for sloppy work.

I DIDN'T say that you said that..."We are all Human" which I don't know what you were referencing???

Moving on, it appears some of us are still having this issue and each of us can decide how to handle the problem and how big of a deal the problem is to them.

Again, my apologies for any mis-reading of what I was trying to state in my reply, nothing more to read into my comments than my opinion 😃

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've noticed a weird popping noise on the passenger door as well, but only when driving and when it's really cold or when the sun hits it when it's hot outside like it's expanding/contracting and never when hitting a bump or something. Obviously some sort of issue from manufacturing on that side of the vehicle, so I mentioned it on my first service at the dealer so it's on record. Not worth chasing it down for me personally as it's so random.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts